Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headlight issues, lows don't work only highs

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight issues, lows don't work only highs

This problem just came about a couple days ago. My highs work but lows don't turn on. I haven't really investigated the issue, i peeked at the fuses and i didn't see any blown out. Any suggestions?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There are no fuses for the headlights - the circuit is protected by a fusible link. Both high and low beams are protected by the same fusible link so that's not the problem.

First step is to eliminate the bulbs as the problem. Unplug one low beam and use a test light or multimeter to check for power and ground at the bulb socket. The yellow wire in the connector is the low beam power. The black wire is ground.

If you have power and ground then the bulbs need to be replaced. If you don't then you'll have to start troubleshooting with your test light or meter. You can eliminate most of the circuit because it is common with the high beams and they work. The headlight switch and dimmer switch must both be working. The only thing left is the sockets themselves (check for corrosion) or the wiring between the main under-dash connector and the lights.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

I had some funny isses with my TA a while back. There is a plug on each light bulb that has wires runnning back to a round connector. I pulled that connector apart, cleaned and greesed it and put it back together. Never had a problem since...
Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Wheres this fuseable link, my Hi and Low went out so I had to reside my lows to my fog light switch ;(