Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need to replace front door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need to replace front door speakers

Do I have to take off the entire door panel to get to them? What replacement speakers do you recommend? Any relatively cheap, store-bought ones? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-speakers.html

And anythings better then stock. Phoenix gold's seem to be popular and a few others i can't think of off the top of my head, but search around for component speaker ideas, they're all over this site.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-speakers.html

And anythings better then stock. Phoenix gold's seem to be popular and a few others i can't think of off the top of my head, but search around for component speaker ideas, they're all over this site.
Anything good at Wal-Mart? lol.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no no to walmart. try kee audio
Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mtx is great also
Old 02-06-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

no no to walmart. try kee audio
I wouldn't buy speakers from Wal-Mart. If you want the best bang for your buck, and have a more-or-less stock Monsoon system, the Kee Audio Basic Package or at least the CDT components that he sells (I think the CL-6 is what he uses in the basic package) would be your best bet.

Be aware though, that you will NOT be using the crossovers that come with whatever speakers you get because of the way the Monsoon system is designed.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like ARK said, if you replace the stock speakers with aftermarket ones, you will not be utilizing the Monsoon amp/crossovers.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
Like ARK said, if you replace the stock speakers with aftermarket ones, you will not be utilizing the Monsoon amp/crossovers.
No, the other way around... if you replace stock speakers with aftermarket you will not be using the crossovers that come with the aftermarket speakers. The Monsoon amp does all signal filtering internally except for the tweeters on Firebirds which have inline high-pass filters.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

So if you buy a set of components for the door speakers how would you run the tweeters w/o the crossover? I forget how the door speakers are wired with the amp. Four sets of wires i think? Two for speaker two for tweeters? Not sure.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Just leave the crossover out. The door speaker wiring is split into separate channels for mid and tweeter - two pairs of wires in each door. The signal to the tweeter wires is already filtered (by the amp in a Camaro and by inline high-pass filters in a Firebird) so additional external crossovers aren't necessary.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the Kee Audio basic package components, would it be worth it to extend the tweeter wiring and locate the tweeter farther up in the door panel? I'm thinking of cutting a hole right in front of the Camaro door handle and flush mounting the tweeters. Good idea or no?

This would keep them somewhat hidden below the window and door lock switch's protrusion, but high enough for the sound to clear knees. I can take a picture if needed, this would apply to any component speakers really.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
With the Kee Audio basic package components, would it be worth it to extend the tweeter wiring and locate the tweeter farther up in the door panel? I'm thinking of cutting a hole right in front of the Camaro door handle and flush mounting the tweeters. Good idea or no?

This would keep them somewhat hidden below the window and door lock switch's protrusion, but high enough for the sound to clear knees. I can take a picture if needed, this would apply to any component speakers really.
This is what i am thinking about doing come summer, and have seen some clean installs. Don't see why it wouldn't work just extending the pre-existing wires.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

I vote for Kee also

Quick Reply: Need to replace front door speakers