Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need a new HU

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new HU

Hi there.. Bought a 93 camaro recently.. Bu the stereo only has a casette player.. meaning useless more or less.

What should i replace it with to get a cd player and if possible a mp3 player so i can hook up my ipod?

And does anybody have one for sale in here if so?

Regards Tim

a happy camaro owner
Old 02-24-2010, 04:05 AM
On The Tree

if your looking for quality, i like the kenwood excelon series hu. If your just looking for something cheap with a mini jack then walmart has a jvc for $80.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

We dont have walmart i denmark.. Im looking for something in 1.5din size freferably originial or with a ipod ability plus cd!

Anyone?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There is almost nothing available in 1.5 DIN except original equipment. Pioneer made a couple of models with CD/MP3 capability and optional iPod support (add-on adapter) but they've been discontinued for a while now. You might still find them on eBay - models DEH-P47DH and DEH-P77DH.

As far as original equipment, as long as your current system isn't Bose you can use any 1.5 DIN GM head unit from 1988 or later except Bose units. Of course you'll probably want to avoid Pontiac units - they'll work but they won't match the interior or lighting of your Camaro.

Another option would be to get a cassette adapter so that you can use your iPod with the existing head unit.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is almost nothing available in 1.5 DIN except original equipment. Pioneer made a couple of models with CD/MP3 capability and optional iPod support (add-on adapter) but they've been discontinued for a while now. You might still find them on eBay - models DEH-P47DH and DEH-P77DH.

As far as original equipment, as long as your current system isn't Bose you can use any 1.5 DIN GM head unit from 1988 or later except Bose units. Of course you'll probably want to avoid Pontiac units - they'll work but they won't match the interior or lighting of your Camaro.
Great info and thanks - how hard is it to modify the dash to accept a double din unit? I believe I have seen a few 4th gens with a double din, just not sure what is involved in moving that route...
Old 02-25-2010, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

How will the sound be going through such a casette adapter?

Thinking of byuing a original cd unit and doing the ipod mod(jack input on cd channels left and right) on it listed in here also? But i i can hook up my ipod i pretty much wont need a cd unit since ipod will be much easier and better than having loads of cd's laying around in the car!

Great help so far btw
Old 02-26-2010, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Najania
How will the sound be going through such a casette adapter?

Thinking of byuing a original cd unit and doing the ipod mod(jack input on cd channels left and right) on it listed in here also? But i i can hook up my ipod i pretty much wont need a cd unit since ipod will be much easier and better than having loads of cd's laying around in the car!

Great help so far btw
This is what he is talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CD-MP3-IPOD-PLAY...item335a79d8e4

It comes with almost all older portable CD players, xm radios (skifi etc..) and other older MP3 players. It sends the MP3 signal thru your tape deck like you were playing a tape, however the sound quality is decient and depends upon the condition of the heads in your tape deck. Just update to a 1 din and get a nice looking HU mount: (humount.com) to fill the space.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-26-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link deleted