Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Correct way of wiring 2 Amps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct way of wiring 2 Amps?

I've got 1 amp for my highs/mids and another amp for 2 12 inch subs. Does it matter what size remote wire I use and can I run the remote wire from 1 amp to the other. Also i replaced my monsoon headunit with a aftermarket headunit. Can I use the same ground wire that my monsoon was hooked to.The amps i decided to go with was Planet Audio and Audiobahn subs
Old 03-13-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what i did when i hooked my two amps up was just run wires for power ground and remote from the first amp to the second amp, then i run rca's using the output on the first amp to the input on the second, hope that helps you a little
Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use a distribution block for power (one in two out ex. Stinger spd511,514). Then ground each amp seperately, find a flat spot knock the paint off with a wire brush or sand paper and run a short screw with a star washer through a ring terminal to ground each amp. Its ok to jump remote between the amps.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes i did use one of those blocks, i think they come with most wiring kits thats where i got mine anyway, i have one amp grounded and the other gronded off the first amp
Old 03-15-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't run the RCAs to the input and from the output to the input of the other like Trans Am 2000 said. I'm guessing your running a 4 channel for your mids/highs and a mono for your subs? Either way, run the RCAs properly off the headunit. Your headunit should have a single (usually blue) output for subs. Use that with a Y and a 2 channel RCA to your sub amp. Your headunit should also have a pair of RCAs for the front and a pair for the rear. Use both if you have a 4 channel amp. That way you won't end up getting highs sent to your sub amp and possibly through your subs. I used KnuKonceptz for all my wire for my setup (Fusion CA-IP500, Fosgate Power 550S for subs, Fosgate Punch 400.4 for mids/highs, CDT HD62 Gold series for the doors, CDT CL-6E for sails, Infinity Perfect10s). For my RCAs I went with KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable 4 channel 6 meter (mid/high amp), Krystal Kable 2 channel 6 meter (sub amp), and the Krystal Kable 1 male/2 female Y adapter. You could go with cheaper ones though. I ended up spending $450 just on wire.