Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Putting a sub in monsoon system

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Putting a sub in monsoon system

My friend has 2 MTX Terminator 12" subs in a box and everything and he wants to get rid of them. I know alot of people opt for the 10" alpine in the stealth box. Can the subs power off the 500w stock amp? Is a single 10" going to do much? I'm also on a low budjet cause im in college so how bad is prices going to be or what should i expect?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a single 10" sub, powered by a 300 watt amp, in a box sitting on the "shelf" right behind the rear seats. It's WAY more bass than you'll ever need. 2 12s are too much in these cars, and you'll probably need a custom box for them.

The factory amp is not 500 watts... it's more like 200, and it's eight channel, so it won't give your sub(s) hardly any power. If you want some decent bass you're going to need more than the Monsoon amp.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going through this process as we speak, and have been bugging Ian at Kee Audio for a couple of weeks now.

A single (good) 10" sub is almost overkill in these cars for the average user.

The stock monsoon is apparently not a bad amp, as long as you give it a good clean signal (i.e. aftermarket head unit), and decent speakers.

You do need an aftermarket amp for running a sub. I picked up a HU that has a single sub pre-out, and the single channel amps are small, and cheap.

Use the stock monsoon, a decent single channel amp for the sub, a decent HU, and Kee Audio's premium speaker package.

From all of my research, that's a bad *** system for most people. I can't rate it offically yet, because it's still in the mail, but give me two weeks. I'll let you know.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah i like the idea of putting a 10" in the stealth box, do you think one of the MTX 12" would fit in there? my friend isnt using the subs and i might as well use them if i can.. I really like the stock HU, but an aftermarket would sound better probably, im guessing you can prob vouch for that? I just like how the stock fills up the consol, without paying 400-500 for one of those dvd/touchscreen HU..
Old 04-11-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe they do make a stealth box that fits a 12, but the stealth box is $$$... if you're trying to save money, just buy a regular old box and put the 12 on the rear shelf. Spend what money you do have on an amp.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure on a 12" in the stealth. I'm thinking if it were easy, or worth it, that would be the standard. As is, the standard is the 10".

I cannot vouch personally for anything as of yet. My system is in the mail. Most of it shipped out this week, but I have a suspision I'll be waiting on my 2Din bezzle for a couple of weeks.

My recomendation would be to call Ian at Kee. I've learned though the years, that any vendor here with his kind of reputation is worth trusting.

Good luck w/ your build out. Keep us posted.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you listen to rap and want loud, boomy bass, a stealth box is NOT for you.

Do you plan on using the 2 MTX woofers or getting an Alpine or what?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98camaro28
If you listen to rap and want loud, boomy bass, a stealth box is NOT for you.

Do you plan on using the 2 MTX woofers or getting an Alpine or what?
Yeah, I figured it would be ideal to use my friends since he isnt and they are available.. I have never heard a stealth box sub though, but i figured it couldn't betoo bad with a decent amp and one of those type r Alpines though but i havent heard it so i wouldnt know.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What impedance are they? If Im not mistaken, the terminator subs are all single 4 ohm.... NOT sure, though. But I would get an Eclipse XA1200 off ebay. 600 RMS into 2 ohms, which will leave you a little room to grow, and is a VERY good amp for $130. Also, I would go with a large sealed box in the t-top storage area. (Granted you're willing to give up your storage.) It will sound MUCH better and cleaner AND louder than a stealth box, and you can make your own pretty easy.

Last edited by 98camaro28; 04-11-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

What impedance are they? If Im not mistaken, the terminator subs are all single 4 ohm.... NOT sure, though. But I would get an Eclipse XA1200 off ebay. 600 RMS into 2 ohms, which will leave you a little room to grow, and is a VERY good amp for $130. Also, I would go with a large sealed box in the t-top storage area. (Granted you're willing to give up your storage.) It will sound MUCH better and cleaner AND louder than a stealth box, and you can make your own pretty easy.
I think most are, but im pretty sure the models he has have a 2ohm impedance. I will find out today aswell as look at that amp. Thanks for the advise!!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem. And on MTX's website it states that the "package" that those woofers come with have a 2 ohm total impedance, would would mean they are almost definitely 4 ohm.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

MTX's might have fallen through..would you still recomend the eclipse amp for other subs? Why do you remomend this amp and how would you compare it to a rockford amp? Alot of questions sorry, getting close to buying, i wanna find a place to hear it out too hopefully! Any recomended subs?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Im also probably going to get a deck at the end of the week, right now im thinking this.
Attached Thumbnails Putting a sub in monsoon system-1571_800_344.jpg  
Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

I have an Alpine SWR-1042D paired with a Alpine MRP-M500, all stuck in a Subthump stealth box. I have the OEM monsoon speaker setup, as well as the OEM CD changer mounted on the rear shelf. It was all professionally installed and mounted; I dropped about $500 on the entire project.

It's perfect for me IMO. As I listen to all kinds of music, it hits rap music extremely hard (as the way the rear of the Camaro is shaped and the volume is quite open), this sub really hits. It is also great for rock and other music, as it provides a healthy bump without draining out the lyrics.

Just my personal input/experience.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-16-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Non-sponsor links removed
Old 04-16-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That amp is designed to run at 2 ohm, so if you get a sub that is dual 4 ohm, I would definitely recommend it. Eclipse makes awesome products, and they actually do rated power. I would say it is on par with RF amps, if not better than their cheaper amps. Both good options though.

I would go for an RE sub. The SE is very inexpensive and a very nice sub for the price.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

That amp is designed to run at 2 ohm, so if you get a sub that is dual 4 ohm, I would definitely recommend it. Eclipse makes awesome products, and they actually do rated power. I would say it is on par with RF amps, if not better than their cheaper amps. Both good options though.

I would go for an RE sub. The SE is very inexpensive and a very nice sub for the price.
would you choose it still over this?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ME+R500-1.html
Bout the same with only a little less rms, but the RF name.. i heard they rate theirs low
Old 04-17-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would without a doubt go with the Eclipse over that model. You'll get more power, and the Eclipse should be cleaner and more efficient. RF does underrate their stuff, and make awesome amps, but Eclipse is also a very good company with under ratings as well.

The "Prime" series amps aren't a good example of RF quality.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

I would without a doubt go with the Eclipse over that model. You'll get more power, and the Eclipse should be cleaner and more efficient. RF does underrate their stuff, and make awesome amps, but Eclipse is also a very good company with under ratings as well.

The "Prime" series amps aren't a good example of RF quality.
Ok thanks, Ill keep you updated on which one im getting