Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

audiopipe wiring help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audiopipe wiring help!!

hey i got 2 audiopipe ts-vr6 subs to replace my factory speakers and today i cut the harness off the stock speakers and wired it to the audiopipes pluged it back in my car and it didnt work.. i recently bought a new alpine headunit and had it installed with the speakers out of the car do my audipipes not work becasue of the head unit??
Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The radio shouldn't have anything to do with it as long as the factory harness wasn't bypassed or something. They should have fired right up. Did the other one work? Try swapping them and see what happens. You can trouble shoot them by using both speakers and both sides of the car to see what is working and what is not.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

yea well i tried using the stock speaker and it wouldnt play either i also tried it on both sides im pretty sure my wiring is correct becasue its really straight forward. and the speakers worked before the new head unit. i got it installed and im pretty sure he just used a harness maybe he didnt connect some wires??
Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Do any of the speakers work?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Staging Lane

yea they all do except for the 2 sail panel speakers
Old 06-08-2010, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

did i not hook them up right..i just cut the old harness off the old speakers and connected it to the new ones
Old 06-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

ok well ifigured it out the guy who installed it said they wired it for 2ohm and the sail panel speakers are 4ohm and that is why they dont work can anyone tell me how to wire the aftermarket head unit to 4ohm??? thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned

That makes no sense at all. The stock sail panel subs and the audiopipes both are DVC 4ohm. Wired properly they are supposed to have a 2ohm load. This has nothing to do with why they don't work....the installation was done wrong somewhere along the way...that's why they don't work. Speakers dictate the impedance (ohms/resistance) not the radio. However you wire the speakers is how much impedance the amplifier sees. Regardless, an aftermarket HU would have nothing to do with anything if you have it wired to the stock system and that system is a Monsoon system. The radio sends a signal to the amplifier and the amplifier is what is powering the speakers and dictates what is going to them not the radio. As long as you didn't bypass the stock Monsoon amp then it should make no difference what radio you are using.
First you said you hooked them up then you said the "guy who installed it said". Who installed these???!!! This is a simple install. You cut the stock connector off and attach them to the pos and neg leads using the screw in terminals. Red is pos and black is neg. If you switch them or one is switched and the other one is right they will not play and possibly damage them.
Here's the deal...you need to do this so you know it is done right because it sounds like someone else did the work and did not know what they were doing or were confused on how to wire them. First things first take both of these back out and look how they are hooked up. The stock connector shoud have been reused and hooked up to the new through the screw in terminals...black to black and red to red like this:

Make sure the terminals and wires are making good contact. Then plug one back into the harness. You should hear something. If not try the other side. If not again try the other speaker hooked up the same way. If both are not working something is probably up with your amp. Especially if you hooked the stocker back up and it didn't work.
Let me know what the results are!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

ok sorry i had the head unit installed and i installed the speakers, i know for a fact the speakers are wired correctly because i took out the after market head unit and switched it back with the stock head unit and the speakers worked perfectly then i hooked the aftermarket head unit up and the speakers didnt work at all. so im thinking something is wrong with the way they head unit is wired ( and btw with the stock head unit and the speakers working they sounded awsome!!! now i just need to get these working with my after market heaad unit)
Old 06-10-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have the aftermarket headunit wired so it turns on the amp?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

I'm a bit perplexed. The new radio should be wired exactly like the stock one. The front and rear speaker outputs feed the signal to the amp and the amp then splits things up to the front, sail, and rear hatch speakers.
Something is amiss in the harness adapter used or something. Green, gray, white and purple (all speaker wires) should all be connected from the new radio and to the harness adapter and then from the adapter plugged into the stock harness in the dash. Check and make sure none of the small prongs are bent where it connects. Check to make sure the speaker wire polarity is correct as well (pos to pos, neg to neg, etc.). My guess is something is not connected right back there but I could be wrong...
Even the aftermarket unit should not have an issue turning on the stock Monsoon as it is speaker level signal that it senses to turn on unlike an aftermarket amp.

Quick Reply: audiopipe wiring help!!