Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

cd player install help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cd player install help.

I just bought this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+X...&skuId=9448403

cheap one with ipod connector and have best review I find at best buy. I bought the dask kit and harness with it, have few question

all I have to do is match the color to color on the harness and cd player right ? what do you guy use to connect 2 wire together ? butt connector ? ( hehe I learn that from my neightbor, ) is the thing that you hook up both end of the wire and clam it down. or just use electric tape to connect em together ?

how can I pull the dash out without crack the dash ? do I have to disconnect the battery ?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

link no work. ya dont have to disconnect battery...some do. you can use the connectors...I get wrap the exposed metal wire together tightly and neatly wrap it in black electrically tape. I dont know how to remove the dash panel...most are pretty simple as long as you know where the clips are you wont break it. I would ask at best buy where are they. oh and I wouldnt connect the wires based on color...used the manual...pretty simple.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

You don't have to remove the dash to get to the radio. Assuming this is for the 97-02 interior, just pull the bezel around the radio and HVAC control off, start at a corner. There are 4 clips (each corner) and they just come out, they won't break. And for connecting it yes, just color to color (red to red, green to green, etc..) and use some type of connectors, don't just tie them together with electrical tape..
Old 07-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There is no need to disconnect the battery because you won't be cutting and splicing any factory (live) wires. In fact, it's easiest to attach the adapter harness to the head unit in the comfort of your living room. Once the adapter harness is done, the HU will just plug in to the factory wiring.

The best way to connect the harness wires is to solder and heat shrink the connections. They'll be more solid and also take up less space. The butt connectors are okay if you use a good crimping tool although they can come loose over time and cause hard to find electrical problems. Twisting and taping should only be done for emergency repairs or short term connections.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got it install today, I have to buy radio attena adapter, and I dont happy with the fitting, of the radio, look like my radio is stuck out a bit, and it kinda loose. I look in back of factory radio, it have somekind of pointing thing to hold the radio. Is their any other radio dash kit ? my dash kit is just that square thing, nothing to hold it down.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by killagt
i got it install today, I have to buy radio attena adapter, and I dont happy with the fitting, of the radio, look like my radio is stuck out a bit, and it kinda loose. I look in back of factory radio, it have somekind of pointing thing to hold the radio. Is their any other radio dash kit ? my dash kit is just that square thing, nothing to hold it down.
That piece that you're referring to, is it a black plastic piece that sticks up? You may have to cut that piece off depending on your radio. I had to do it to mine to get it to fit good enough. And not sure what dash kit you have but don't get the universal one, I had problems with those and went with, i believe, this kit: Scosche GM1588B / GM1588. Just search for it in yahoo or google since its not from a sponsor.
Or you can also google 'hu mount' for a little more custom of a radio bracket, bit pricier though.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The kit I got from best buy look like the kit part # you recomment. it fix perfect on my dash, but my radio stick out a bit, and it look like loosing a bit.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

Is there a black tab sticking up in the back where the radio sits? As said above, you may need to cut that part out.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use wire-nuts, i tried using electrical tape on mine, but it gets hot in your car in the summer and the tape gets gooey and falls off.