Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory Alarm On/Off switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Factory Alarm On/Off switch

Does the factory alarm have an On/Off switch besides the Arm/Disarm clicker?

My battery ran dead so I put a new on in and now I am not getting any spark when I try to start it. I'm wondering if the alarm system is preventing my car from starting?

Any info would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Glenn
Old 07-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The factory alarm system doesn't have anything to do with starting. GM calls it a Content Theft Deterrent system - it's intended to prevent people from stealing the contents of the car (rather than the car itself).

The Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) is a separate circuit that checks the resistor in the key for the correct value before allowing the car to be started. It can't be turned off but it can be bypassed by installing the correct resistance in the circuit so that it "sees" the correct key all the time. However, it has nothing to do with spark. It prevents starting the car by blocking ground to the starter relay (starter won't work) and by turning off the fuel enable signal to the PCM (no fuel).
Old 07-27-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the help. It looks like my lack of spark issue is coming from a different reason. the gauge cluster lights up, the starter turns the motor over and the fuel pumps prime and fuel gauge shows pressure.

All of my fuses are good and the relays are working. (I switched the relay between the starter and the coils and both relay's worked in the starter location).

The wire loom looks fine. the car has run fine all year long. I put the battery on the charger it bubbled over and the car wouldn't start. I then changed the battery and everything works but no spark out of the spark plugs.

I will try the automotive forum, but do you have any other thoughts?

Best regards,
Glenn