Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is this the stock antenna wire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is this the stock antenna wire?

I have attached a pic of the wire that is ran back to an aftermarket antenna in my car. What I'm wondering is this wire the factory antenna line? it looks like a coax cable. The guy installed some aftermarket antenna and has the center wire poorly attached to the antenna line. It doesn't work for crap. How does the factory antenna connector look or work?

The tied up wire is the wire going to the current antenna installed. That coax cable looking wire is coming out of the wire loom that has all the wires that go to the factory amp.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:48 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

'Pic no workey...
Old 11-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Here is a picture of a standard Motorola antenna plug. Aftermarket head units use this plug. GM HUs use one that is the same shape but somewhat smaller.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:56 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

okay here is the picture again. It looks like a coax cable coming from the stock head unit. then they tried to wire it into a plug like you posted, as this is an aftermarket antenna.

Does the stock antenna have a direct plug the stock wire will plug into? Looks like i will need to some how splice it, as i want to go back to the stock antenna.
Attached Thumbnails Is this the stock antenna wire?-029.jpg  
Old 11-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The stock antenna connects to a coaxial (RG-62) extension cable that has a male Motorola plug on one end and a male mini-Motorola plug (GM style) on the other end. The end with the standard Motorola connector plugs into a socket on the bottom of the factory antenna. The small end plugs into GM head units.

If I had to guess, I would say that the cable with the butchered end is what's left of the factory antenna cable going to the dash. Most aftermarket replacement antennas come with a male Motorola plug and the previous owner may have been faced with trying to connect the male plug from the aftermarket antenna to the male plug on the factory cable. Rather than getting the proper connectors, he/she cut the factory plug off and tried to splice the conductors together.