Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

audio newb..got questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default audio newb..got questions

Ok i purchased a MTX Thunder 4500 series sub woofer in a small box and a Koiler 2000 Watt max Amplifier model is xm-9697. I bought it from some kid for $130. He said he took the subwoofer to texas and had the coil upgraded or as he said "Reinforced" to handle the amp. He said the sub had a small coil and basically it got upgraded to a bigger coil and bigger wires at a comp audio shop in El Paso.

I have been looking for a nice little sub and amp and this seemed perfect for the price, he was asking 150 but i talked him down to 130, gave him 70 and took the stuff and will be giving him the rest tomorrow. He said he was surprised how hard the setup hit but he said he needs money because they think his son might have cancer and he needs the money for the doctor or something and that he has his kid in the back seat all the time and he didnt want the system hitting when his kid was in the car. I figured since i want a lil bass in the car and he needed help i would take it so i went to his house to check it out, all seems legit.

Only thing is i have never heard of koiler. Is this a good brand? The amp looks nice its got chrome or stainless steel housing and a small plastic window where you can see the compnents inside the amp. He said he paid $200 for it at the shop so im guessing it should be decent.

What do you guys think? Hes going to give me the wiring tomorrow so i can hook it up and check it out.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MTX 4500 is MTX's bottom of the line sub that they put in everything. They are $50.00 new and wouldn't touch one that has been used.
The Koiiler amp is also not a good amp. They fry boards easily and their 2000watts is good for about 350-400watts....for a limited amount of time.
That amp is worth about $50.00 used and the sub is worth nothing. I say nothing because I wouldn't buy it.
You would be better off saving your money and buying something of some quality then jumping on the first thing that is in your price range.
Looked for a reputable company online that carries them and you can't even find one. I would stay away from that deal brother!!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
MTX 4500 is MTX's bottom of the line sub that they put in everything. They are $50.00 new and wouldn't touch one that has been used.
The Koiiler amp is also not a good amp. They fry boards easily and their 2000watts is good for about 350-400watts....for a limited amount of time.
That amp is worth about $50.00 used and the sub is worth nothing. I say nothing because I wouldn't buy it.
You would be better off saving your money and buying something of some quality then jumping on the first thing that is in your price range.
Looked for a reputable company online that carries them and you can't even find one. I would stay away from that deal brother!!
Yea i saw them for 50 bucks on ebay. He said the coil had been upgraded on the speaker to a bigger one or something like that. As far as the amp goes i saw some people say that it lasted them for a while one guy said it lasted him 7 years and it was hittin the sepakers good. Im not looking for anything crazy just some bass in the car to go with my polk audios. I think im going to back off on the deal and get my 70 bucks tomorrow. Thnks man
Old 03-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro981289
Yea i saw them for 50 bucks on ebay. He said the coil had been upgraded on the speaker to a bigger one or something like that. As far as the amp goes i saw some people say that it lasted them for a while one guy said it lasted him 7 years and it was hittin the sepakers good. Im not looking for anything crazy just some bass in the car to go with my polk audios. I think im going to back off on the deal and get my 70 bucks tomorrow. Thnks man
I just know you can do better for the money. There are certain brands you can buy used and get good results and some you just do not want to touch.
He didn't upgrade the coil...no one does that to a 4500. Plus the coil is small to begin with and can't get any larger without a larger magnet...the coil sits inside that.
You would do well to get your hard earned money back. I would be happy to help you out and get you into some quality gear. I even have some stuff around here that is B-stock (blems that do not affect performance) and some used gear that is in great tested shape you would have much better luck with. You'd also get great performance out of stuff like that.
Shoot me an email: keeaudio@bellsouth.net
I will get you something decent on a budget! I know how it is to build something on a budget...I've done it many times when i was younger and didn't know as much as I know now. I've learned alot in my 39 years! I'm here to help!!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the help man, Im looking for somethin on a budget that would have some nice bass in the car. I have the money to buy something nice but i want to spend most of it on performance stuff for the car instead of audio. Maybe a 10" sub in a box with a decent amp would work. I went by his house just now and turns out he spent my money last night...he said hes going to try and get it by today...i have a feeling im going to have a hard time getting that money back. I should of checked out the stuff before i gave the money to him but like i said i dont know much about audio stuff so he talked me into buying the stuff. He did say the 4500 had a bigger magnet from that shop. I dont know if its true or not but im not going to risk it.

Quick Reply: audio newb..got questions