Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Three Wire Truck Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Three Wire Truck Alternator

I installed a KG3 3 wire alternator on my 2002 T/A last night and I just want to confirm that I only need the original pigtail with the brown wire hooked up to this unit as well as the power wire, obviously. I was reading the https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...aq-thread.html and information/schematics about the 3 wire unit is lacking.

I also want to confirm that you only need the resistor or some small load on that single brown wire if you have a 98 wiring harness as that wire hooks up to +12V and on the 99+ the brown wire hooks up to the PCM, correct?

I am asking because last week I started my car to head home from work and the gauge cluster voltmeter was jumping back and forth. The lights were dimming on the way home and power was fading in and out. I assumed it was the alternator and ordered a KG3 from an online junkyard. Well it finally came in last night and I installed it and it wasn't working. I was reading 11.8V at the battery while idling/revving. I then checked the connection after searching through thread after thread about wiring configurations and I believe the problem the entire time was just that single brown wire losing contact with the alternator as the pigtail fell off the wire as I was trying to determine if it was faulty. I made a quick fix, something I wouldn't drive around with and it worked but the voltmeter was still a little jumpy. I don't think my "quick fix" is working 100% but I just want to make sure when I go home tonight to permanently fix it, that all I need to fix is that one wire and not add a resistor or additional wiring. TIA
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the KG3 upgrade to my 98, and the single brown wire/plug went right in and the alternator puts anywhere between 13-14.7volts for me, haven't been able to get it to drop below that.
Upgraded all the wires to 4 gauge as well.... Besides that it was all stock drop in replacement.

Quick Reply: Three Wire Truck Alternator