Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

window regulator motor or both?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window regulator motor or both?

hey everyone. I have a question I am hoping someone can help with. I have a 1998 trans am and the windows are getting to the point where I need to fix them. Problem is i dont know if I need to replaced the motor or regulator or both. what happens is i roll the window down but I try to roll them up and it will not go up. so I wait about 4 minutes and it goes up a lil bit. then I wait another 4 min and it goes up a lil bit and so on and so on till it goes up all the way. another thing is a long time ago it started to scratch the tint off of my drivers side window in two spots. What could be causing this? any help would be great, also Where is the best place to get a good parts that are not crap for this job. Price is not a concern. Thank you very much in advance.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get the motor - the regulators are the scissor-type and rarely fail unless they've completely rusted through

the two spots where its scratching your tint are felt-covered guides - when you take your door panel off to replace the motor, you'll see them. Most times the felt has come off or worn through. Any automotive glass shop should have rolls and rolls of the stuff. If not, the fuzzy side of velcro works just as well

finally, unless you do the window motor mod (search, its everywhere), really doesnt matter what brand of motor you use since they'll all fail eventually
Old 03-30-2011, 02:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

What about when the glass is halfway down and it rattles and clanks around while you drive? Whats the fix for that?

Not trying to hijack.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
What about when the glass is halfway down and it rattles and clanks around while you drive? Whats the fix for that?

Not trying to hijack.
either the channels the glass rides in have come loose from the door
or
the guides (mentioned above) have come loose or broken off

or both