Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Any Optima problems lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Optima problems lately?

My 99 SS's gauges sweep and trip odometer resets upon start up after its been sitting for a few days...I read that thats a voltage issue and can be resolved with a good battery; therefore, I bought a Duralast from Autozone and it was fine last year but I noticed when I started it up the other day, it did it again. Now...that might be because the battery was low from sitting 3 1/2 months without a charger and I left the battery connected.

I was going to buy an Optima battery when I bought the Duralast but then I read several posts from members here that had problems with their new Optimas.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do NOT buy an Optima. They used to be high quality batteries back in the day, but ever since they switched production to Mexico everything went downhill. I disregarded the few people that warned me about them but I went ahead and got an Optima red top about a year and a half ago. I just bought a new battery two weeks ago because it was performing terribly. It started the car, but you could tell it was not providing enough power and that it was dragging the starter. Cranking voltage was 8 volts; a good battery should not drop below 9.6. After taking the battery out I realized there was a crack down one of the cells and the inside had started to push out. It's not like the battery was banging around or anything, it was securely mounted.

I have a carquest advanced generation battery I got for $60 with core (I work there so I get a discount) and that solved all my problems. I am not sure what to tell you about your gauges...has it happened again since you started the car and let the battery charge up?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Apparently there are a lot or members here that claim the gauge issue is due to low voltage in the battery. I had to move the car a few weeks ago while it was in storage and the cluster did its thing. The car fired right up, which I was surprised, since it hadn't been charged, started or have the battery disconnected. The battery is probably a year old, I bring the Camaros home tomorrow morning. I will see what happens the next few days.

Thank you for your help. I will not buy an Optima
Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
Do NOT buy an Optima. They used to be high quality batteries back in the day, but ever since they switched production to Mexico everything went downhill. I disregarded the few people that warned me about them but I went ahead and got an Optima red top about a year and a half ago. I just bought a new battery two weeks ago because it was performing terribly. It started the car, but you could tell it was not providing enough power and that it was dragging the starter. Cranking voltage was 8 volts; a good battery should not drop below 9.6. After taking the battery out I realized there was a crack down one of the cells and the inside had started to push out. It's not like the battery was banging around or anything, it was securely mounted.

I have a carquest advanced generation battery I got for $60 with core (I work there so I get a discount) and that solved all my problems. I am not sure what to tell you about your gauges...has it happened again since you started the car and let the battery charge up?

Did you not want to get a free new optima? They come with a 3 yr warranty and it should not be pro-rated. Hell, I got my red top replaced for free at around 4 yrs for my truck. My yellow top has lasted since 03 in my t/a.

OP, not sure how current optima's are though.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Would I have had to register to get the warranty or does it count regardless? Cause I bought mine off Amazon and never got around to registering it
Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I had nothing but problems when I had a red top Optima. Switched over to a Die Hard Platinum battery about 2.5 years ago and haven't looked back.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have nothing but good results with Optima's.