Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Component speaker x-over location

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Component speaker x-over location

A long time ago, I bought a pair of Firebird door panels, to do the switch over in my Camaro. I'm finally getting around to it, and was hoping I could get a quick answer for something. I'm going to install a component speaker set up in the car, that's why I bought the Firebird panels, but I'm unsure where there's room to stash the x-over for the speakers.

I seem to recall that the speaker manufacturers tell you NOT to mount them in the doors, but there seems to be little to no room in the kick panels. Where is everybody hiding theirs?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drivers side I was able to fit in the kick panel toward the firewall back of the hood release. For the passenger side I fit it up into the dash behind the glove box. Hope that helps. Not sure if there's a difference in size of the kick panels between camaro and firebirds.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94T/A5.7LT1
Drivers side I was able to fit in the kick panel toward the firewall back of the hood release. For the passenger side I fit it up into the dash behind the glove box. Hope that helps. Not sure if there's a difference in size of the kick panels between camaro and firebirds.
Thanks for the info! The little bit that I've looked around in that area, it seemed that there wasn't a lot of extra space for aftermarker "add-ons". Kenwood, I believe, makes a 6.5" component system that has the x-over somehow or other, wired into the wire harness itself, probably a simple "bass blocker" type of resistor, which would make the install easier, but according to the system's specs, the bass response is a little thin......