Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

custom chime sounds

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default custom chime sounds

i was just wondering about different chime sounds, and i figured this falls under the BCM's jurisdiction, so i figured this is the right section. what i wonder is how those are stored and where. i'd imagine in the radio, and the bcm requests a certain "file" to be played, but i dont know. i just think it would be neat to have different .wav files played for different things, like the way you can on a desktop PC. when i was in the corps still, i had clips from full metal jacket. it played "whats your name, scumbag?" when i got an email, and it played "well! no ****!" when it did something to freeze up momentarily or i tried to do do something only nmci could do. i figured that would be a good one for the three chimes you get when you press the door lock with the key still in the ignition. or even record yourself saying, "take the keys out of the ignition stupid" or whatever. theres got to be a way.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like this idea , but I don't think bcm has a stored audio file.
Its more of a sound generated by electric pulse ...Just a guess.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

No, you are assuming modern audio handling for a 10+ year old car. The BCM produces the audible chimes internally (no connection to the radio or speakers) and it is basically just like a household doorbell. The chime is always the same sound, only the number of chimes changes depending on the situation (key in, lights on, alarm enable, alarm programming, etc.).
Old 05-11-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking into replacing the factory 2DIN Bose HU on my 2001 Deville DHS. The chimes are integrated into the Bose system. If you want to replace the HU it requires an expensive harness from PAC or Metra with an external chime module. I think the external module functions as WB described, like a stand-alone doorbell-type device.

This is all somewhat OT, but just wanted to illustrate that even when you're talking about the "newer" (still 10 years old) fully integrated systems, it's not a file or firmware issue that can be manipulated.