Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Subwoofer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Monsoon Subwoofer replacement

I was wondering what you guys have done for the sail panel speakers in the monsoon system. All of the threads I have found seem to discuss replacements that are no longer made.

I see no reason to upgrade my amp at this point, but both of my 6.5 inch subs are trashed, I called gm and the replacements are $87 a piece which is a little steep for a paper cone. So I would like to know what people with the stock system are using. price range is around and under (if someone has a secret nice low price one) $100 per side. Lets see what you've got.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered two Kicker 6.5" subwoofers off Amazon for $55 a piece. They are the shallow channel model and should be a direct replacement. I get them tomorrow and will be installing them this weekend. I'll let you know how it all goes on Monday.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:50 AM
msu
Teching In

I used to source the Premium Audio Systems for GM. I was not responsible for the Monsoon (that was before my time). I was responsible for trying to get Monsoon out of Pontiac and the Hummer line up. I was also the one who got Boston Acoustics into the new Camaro. It was a huge fight with Marketing to keep Bose out but I finally convinced them to go in a different direction!

What I can say is that Monsoon is definitely a "low cost" speaker and $87.00 is definitely making a nice profit margin if that's what they are trying to charge you to replace them.

You should be able to replace it with any aftermarket speaker that is the same size. Just make sure you match the Ohm's so the volume will match around the vehicle when you crank up the sound.

As for the amp, there is not really a need to replace it if you get a good head unit to do your filtering pre-amp.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sail panel speakers only handle bass. So it isn't a good idea to throw a 2 way 3 way etc... in there, it would sound like poop. So I am basically looking for the 6.5 inch sub replacement.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Try www.keeaudio.com.they are a site sponser. They have the right set up for replacement speakers.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Just installed the kicker 6.5" subwoofers and they fit really well. Only issue was the factory subs have two sets of red and black wires, I think one for high range bass and the other for low range bass. The kicker subs only have one connection for one set of wires. I just hooked up one set of wires and it works great. No more popping subwoofers. Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ended up finding a set of rockford fosgates, I don't remember the model off of the top of my head, but I think they should sound nice, there was a fairly large thread on someone who used them in a bird. I'll post pictures and results once they show up.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 AM

Default what about the extra wires?

If I replace the side panel subs, (which are dual voice coil, thus two sets of wires), with a standard sub, what would the correct wiring be? 1997 firebird with monsoon system.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Teching In

I just replaced the Monsoon sail panel subs in my 2000 z28 with Lanzar MAXP64 6.5" , about $55 shipped on Amazon. There was only a two wire pigtail which I replaced with two female spades. The holes had to be enlongated and 1 1/2" sheet metal screws used. Played them low for a while, then they sounded great with the 20 or so watts RMS the Monsoon amp puts out. No depth or ohm issues.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Teching In

The left sail ---dark blue pos./light green neg.-----right sail speaker dark green pos./light blue neg.

Quick Reply: Monsoon Subwoofer replacement