Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about installing a LED Scanner Light to factory alarm.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

just put a small reed switch in the door and run power to it and out to your sanner.mount the switch so it closes when the door is locked.fast and easy.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You could add a Hornet 727T or Viper 330V alarm upgrade. These are designed to add alarm capabilities to cars with only keyless entry from the factory but they work fine on f-bodies even with a factory alarm (you just have to program the factory alarm not to arm). The kits offer additional features such as a real alarm siren and the capability to add additional accessories such as a motion detector while still using the factory remote key fobs. The big advantage here is that it has a "grounded while armed" wire that could be used with your LED scanner. I put one in my car many years ago - installation was easy and it's still working well. You can find them online for under $100. I wouldn't spend that just to connect an LED but the alarm features are well worth the price.
How did you find the "ground while armed" cable I have a viper 3303 but im not sure on how to install the Led scanner.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by seko12
How did you find the "ground while armed" cable I have a viper 3303 but im not sure on how to install the Led scanner.
I looked it up in the alarm installation manual.

I don't have a manual for the 3303 but I found a 3305 manual online and I'm sure it would use the same wire colors. It indicates that the orange wire in position 1 of the primary harness is a 500ma ground while armed. 500ma is not much so make sure you don't put too much current there - the coil ground of a relay or a few LEDs is about all it can handle. Test the current with an ammeter/multimeter before using it.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a scanner on my car that is activated by a remote. i know thats not built into an alarm but u could just get one thats remote activated and turn it on that way.

Quick Reply: Question about installing a LED Scanner Light to factory alarm.