Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Recommendations for a grill that will clear high excursion subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendations for a grill that will clear high excursion subwoofers

I want to get something to protect my 15" RE SEx subwoofer, but even RE Audio doesn't sell a grill for it. I called their tech line today, and the guy that answered told me that even he has yet to find a grill that will clear their high excursion 15" subs.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

If possible, flush mount the sub (as far as the front-mount depth goes, anyway) - do a double thick baffle to give it the strength it will need. Then use something like this: http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CC8Q8wIwAA (not sure what Ian or other sponsors have for sale, so I just linked to Google Shopping)

That grill likely wouldn't work without the flush mounting, though...
Old 08-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually do have that same grill. It is black though which I actually prefer over the chrome. It isn't on the site but I just shipped one of those about a week ago. Let me check to see if I have the 15" version.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:38 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

I found a heavy-duty (much thicker bars) version in black as well. It's $24 w/shipping incl.

The thinner barred one like dragonrage linked that is also black is $17.50 w/shipping incl.

What might be pretty cool is to mount two of in a plus shape. It would give better protection and might even look a little better? Of course one of them would have to be a little taller in order to sufficiently clear the other.

Something like this:

Last edited by cpo; 08-26-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for a grill that will clear high excursion subwoofers