Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No interior lights anywhere or windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No interior lights anywhere or windows

last night i lost all interior lights, odometer backlight and radio display. also the windows but the radio stayed on just no display. I was thinking this is caused by the BCM. does anyone think i may have more than one problem??
Old 08-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check the fuses behind the panel on the driver's side of the dash (facing the door). Its probably the IP Dimmer fuse.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

I checked the fuses last night they were all fine and im guessing that IP dimmer fuse is all or nothing sort of thing since its a fuse. the lights for the odometer and the radio as well as the windows all worked this morning so that led me to believe that its the BCM causing the problem but was looking for advice to see if anyone else thought it was caused by something else.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The BCM has absolutely nothing to do with the dash lighting.

Do your tail lights (running lights not brake lights) work? The dash lighting gets its power through the IP DIMMER fuse which in turn gets power from the TAIL LPS fuse. If your tail lights aren't working then the TAIL LPS fuse is probably the cause.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

ok i still have tail lights, i checked the fuses again still all good... is there a ground somewhere in the cabin that could be loose?? also any ideas on why the windows are coming and going if my problem is not BCM related???
Old 08-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Instead of guessing, get yourself a test light or multimeter and start tracing. First unplug one of the dash lights and test for power at the socket. Alternatively, you could pull out the radio and test the gray wire in the black 10-pin connector. You can also test for ground although I seriously doubt that is the problem. Assuming you get no power, you should work backwards by testing for power at the IP DIMMER fuse - just because the fuse is okay doesn't mean that power is flowing. If no power at the fuse then check for power at the dimmer switch. The brown wire is the input power from the TAIL LPS fuse and the dark green wire is the output to the IP DIMMER fuse and the lights.

A power windows problem may or may not be caused by the BCM but the dash lights certainly are not related. If you have the common solder joint problem in the BCM, your radio will cut out at the same time as the windows. In that case it's an easy fix. If they don't both cut out at the same time then you'll have some more diagnostics to do.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-29-2011 at 07:29 AM.