Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Find ALL the grounds! LS1 F-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Not mentioning mounting points since those go through chassis grounds or engine block grounds)

-Trunk Hatch Release Bracket (2)
-Below Left Front Seat (Firebird Only)
-Center Rear of Roof (Camaro, Coupe only)
-Near left of Done Light (Camaro, Vert)
-Right Kick Panel
-Left Kick panel
-I/P Harness, Near Instrument Cluster
-Top Left of Radiator Support
-Top Right of Radiator Support
-Left Rear of Engine (3)
-Right Front of Engine
-L/F Shock Tower
-R/F Shock Tower
-L/F Frame Rail
-Right Side of Engine Block (BATT - )
-Lower Left Side of Engine
-Below Center console

Pages 25-28
http://cs.chevroletclub.net/graphics...g.diagrams.pdf

Last edited by bayer-z28; 03-08-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
I nominate this for sticky.
add lt1 section and thats not a bad idea
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed. maybe i can stop my cluster from cycling and resetting the trip meter every time i turn on the key.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by rumblebox
subscribed. maybe i can stop my cluster from cycling and resetting the trip meter every time i turn on the key.
Replacing the battery will often take care of that problem.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Replacing the battery will often take care of that problem.
not this time. it started doing it after i did the engine swap and kept doing it after i put a new battery in it a few years ago.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have photos of the ground locations on the motor and where they terminate?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bizzles
Whelp...since most of our beautiful ladies are soon to be or already are TEENagers, sometimes things get loose, dirty, rusty, etc. I think I'd be good to have a comprehensive list of where all the ground wires are. A good thrashing on all your grounds is always a good start when trouble shooting those pesky electric gremlins. I'll start w/ my fave:

UPDATED:
#1: Back of passenger side cylinder head.
#2: Passenger side of block.
#3: 3 ground wires on the back of the drivers side head.
#4: under the bracket for the air box assembly. (can cause all kinds of light problems)
#5: cluster of ground wires on the lower ds pillar, close to the door pushbutton for the interior light.
#6: Grounding strap from just behind alternator. (PS fluid just loves to reek havoc in that area)
What's the easiest way to get to the grounds on the heads without dropping the trans?
Old 08-05-2016, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to high jack the thread, but I recent had a cam installed and I have had so many unexplained electrical issues since then. I took my air lid assembly off, removed the four bolts so just the radiator was exposed. Was there supposed to be a ground wire on one of those four bolts under the plastic assembly? Because there was no wires. The only two wires I see are the one to the left of the air lid assembly and the one to the right of the assembly, however these both can be seen clearly without removing anything, they are clear as day when you open the hood. Please help if you can.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The only ground points on the radiator support are G105 and G106 which are the two you've already found. G105 on the right side handles all of the right side front lamps plus the ignition relay coil ground. G106 on the left side handles all left side front lamps plus the fans, AIR pump, ABS module, washer pump, wiper motor and the low brake fluid sensor.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Default Ground on passenger side of ls1 head

I have motor swapped from a 5.7 that blew to a 5.3. I have all grounds hooked up except i keep seeing on threads there is a passenger head ground i dont remember if i took one off or not. If there is can someone tell me where the ground runs to cuz i have no brake lights and no turn signals and my dash lights are flickering like a bad ground thanks.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Even if you were missing a ground at the back of the cylinder head, it would have nothing to do with brake lights, turn signals or dash illumination. The tail lights are grounded to the body at the back of the car and the dash lights are grounded to the body behind the left kick panel. Have you checked fuses?
Old 12-21-2020, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread I know but I’m putting a 6.0 in my 01. The new 6.0 block does not have the hole on the passenger side of the block for the ground. Am I safe to just put this ground behind a motor mount bolt?

Old 10-21-2021, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bizzles
Whelp...since most of our beautiful ladies are soon to be or already are TEENagers, sometimes things get loose, dirty, rusty, etc. I think I'd be good to have a comprehensive list of where all the ground wires are. A good thrashing on all your grounds is always a good start when trouble shooting those pesky electric gremlins. I'll start w/ my fave:

UPDATED:
#1: Back of passenger side cylinder head.
#2: Passenger side of block.
#3: 3 ground wires on the back of the drivers side head.
#4: under the bracket for the air box assembly. (can cause all kinds of light problems)
#5: cluster of ground wires on the lower ds pillar, close to the door pushbutton for the interior light.
#6: Grounding strap from just behind alternator. (PS fluid just loves to reek havoc in that area)
#4 under the bracket for the air box assembly…. I’m having issues with my passenger side headlight flickering, sometimes it won’t come on at all. I pulled the connector from the back of the headlamp and cleaned it…. Still didn’t solve the issue. Would this ground under the air box be my next step to clean up? If so, what kind of work is involved in accessing this? Thanks
Old 10-22-2021, 10:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The grounds for the front lamp harness are G105 and G106 which are bolted to the right and left sides of the upper radiator support, respectively. AFAIK, they are out in the open and not under the air box bracket. You should see a bolt with a single black wire with an eye loop on the upper portion of the radiator support on each side between the headlight assembly and the edge of the radiator.

It is possible but very unlikely that the ground is causing your flickering problem. Those grounds handle all of the front lamps on each side so you would expect to see other problems if they were faulty, especially with your DRLs which are on much more than your headlights. No harm in checking and cleaning them up but don't be disappointed if that doesn't solve the problem.

Quick Reply: Find ALL the grounds! LS1 F-body