Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

monsoon crossover and wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default monsoon crossover and wiring questions

My first question is:

For the door speakers on a camaro, is it really one pair of wires that provides a full range signal and one pair of wires just for the tweeters? I just recently tried wiring in a crossover and i used the "full range" wires as suggested by the search button on this forum, and NO signal came through for the tweeter. just for the sake of curiosity i wired to the "tweeter" pair of wires, and it worked...just for the tweeter of course. Maybe my car is a special case but i think some of the wiring info in the stickies may be incorrect.

Question 2:

I believe the monsoon amp treats the sail panel and hatch speakers as a component set. If this is the case, is there any information on how the stock amp crossover behaves for these speakers? Only reason i ask is because i'm trying to figure out if its possible to get more bass out of the sail panel subs without blowing the hatch speakers.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

#1. Unlike Firebirds, Camaros have all eight speakers powered by the amp and the amp provides signal filtering internally (Firebirds have inline high pass filters for the tweeters). The tweeter in the coaxially mounted door components is high pass filtered by the amp while the door mids receive full range signal. This has been tested and demonstrated by many members so I suspect you may have a problem with your crossover (or your wiring).

#2. No, the sail panel subs and the hatch speakers aren't a component set. The hatch speakers in Camaros are 4" full range speakers used for rear fill. The signal to them is not filtered by the amp. The sail panel subs receive low pass filtered signal from the amp.

6.5" subs are not ideal for true bass reproduction. You would gain more bass by installing a larger sub such as perhaps a 10" in a stealth enclosure.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info.