Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

"Burr Brown DAC"

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default "Burr Brown DAC"

I've been thinking about a new HU for my Z-28. I really don't need anything super-dooper, I just want a good sounding CD reciever. I was reading some of the manufacturer's information, and a couple of them mention having a "Burr Brown 24 bit DAC" in the CD section of the unit.

The little bit I'm familiar with, I believe this to be a better component for a CD player. But given the inherent noisier atmosphere of an automobile interior, especially with a somewhat loud exhaust system, am I really going to notice any better CD sound quality if I spend the extra $$ to get a CD reciever with the Burr Brown DAC?

Thanks for any input........
Old 12-29-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry about it. It's marketing. All DACs on the market these days from reputable companies (Burr Brown/TI, Analog Devices, National Semi, On Semi, ST Microelectronics, Fairchild, Cirrus Logic... whatever) are good enough. Burr Brown makes some great products, but the difference is not going to be audible.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

the price of DACs is pretty cheap......so ANY HU should have it in there
Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
the price of DACs is pretty cheap......so ANY HU should have it in there
Easy for us to say as consumers, isn't it? It's a marketing point that they use to help sell the more expensive stuff.

Quick Reply: "Burr Brown DAC"