Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Head Unit Wiring Help!! Leftover BLUE wire??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit Wiring Help!! Leftover BLUE wire??

After installing my pioneer appradio head unit i have a left over wire from the car for the power antenna. I need to know how to wire it so the antenna works. I do not have any left over wires to go into the head unit. I am planning on running subs but i was going to put them on a separate switch. If anyone can help let me know. I dont have much electrical knowledge lol
Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be a blue wire with a white stripe, that's your remote wire. Anytime the head unit is on, that will have a 12v charge. Should be able to connect it to that
Old 04-01-2012, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^Listen to this guy, that's what I did with mine.

Also, this thread might help.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bill12690
There should be a blue wire with a white stripe, that's your remote wire. Anytime the head unit is on, that will have a 12v charge. Should be able to connect it to that
There was no Blue wire with white stripe, that was my problem. But, thankfully i solved it anyways. With the left over blue wire from the car, i attached the remote wire from the amp. I then bridged the remote wire and the main power wire with a short piece of wire. In the main power line running from the battery to the amp i put a toggle switch, with an inline fuse in between the battery and the switch. So, when i turn the car on, i have to flip the toggle switch for my antenna and subs to come on. Is there anyway that i could make the antenna come up without turning the subs on? or any other way you guys would suggest doing it??
Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Your Pioneer unit has a blue w/white wire designed to trigger a relay for windshield antennas (it's shown in Pioneer's installation manual). You could add a standard Bosch-style relay to control both your amp remote turn-on and the power antenna.

Using a toggle switch is a bad solution because you risk leaving it on and running down your battery. Simply wiring to the ignition power at the HU would be better if you don't want to add a relay.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

In a previous install I installed a simple two wire On/Off switch to dump the amp for a subwoofer. All you have to do is wire the "remote turn on lead" from the headunit to the 1st post on the switch, then from the second post of the switch to the amplifiers "remote turn on lead" post.

This way if you dont want the booming bass, you can just listen to your mains.

Last edited by Mattyfresh89; 04-22-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: watching the idiot box
Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

To the OP, there are 3 harnesses coming out of the back of the pioneer appradio, well 4 counting the one with the usb's for connecting the phone to, the harness you need to look at is the one that plugs in right above the speaker cable harness, it should have the blue with white stripe wire, that is the wire that is to be used for turning the amps on and off (aka remote wire), you'll need to use that same wire to make your antenna go up and down.

its the harness that has the wires that goes to the parking brake (green/white), reverse (pink) rca video (yellow rca) and the wired remote input.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 04-27-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Head Unit Wiring Help!! Leftover BLUE wire??