Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Disturbance from engine in the stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Disturbance from engine in the stereo

I have an LS1 in my 69 Camaro. One problem I have is that I get noise in my stereo that comes from the engine, the noise is depending on the RPM.

I guess I have to put in capacitors on the power to the stereo to get rid of it but I would like to know how big they should be and exactly where to put them.

Thanks

Jan
Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Teching In

That is called alternator whine. Usally you can change the ground on your radio and if that doesnt work change the ground going from your battery to the alt.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Also try checking your signal cables, they don't like power wire. One way to avoid this is to run power/ground down one side of the car and your RCA's down the other. Noise can creep in depending on how your wires are sitting too. If your RCA's and power cables are near each other and messy (like mine always are) try to make them cross at a 90 degree angle. That seems to help keep the interference out if they have to be near each other.