Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new system build

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new system build

over the next few months ill be getting ready to do a full overhaul on my audio layout. my work lets me get very nice discounts at a well known car audio chain here in michigan, as well as the main store in my company that isnt as car audio oriented, but they carry a couple other brands to choose from.

originally i was leaning toward a jl build. we had a meeting with a few reps last week, and the alpine rep came into my store today and i got to pick his brain some more. from what i got to see from alpine i think im going for an alpine build, but i always like to hear other opinions. im not looking to hear "oh go with this instead" since im going with the brands i can get discounts on.

the jl sounds great, but the new 2012 alpine stuff is awesome and cost is a lot lower. im going to list each piece, and my options. what would you go with and why?

head unit- kenwood excelon kdc-x996. i could go alpine, but i love the excelon units, and i get discount on that too.

front component set- alpine type r spr-60c. jl audio c5-650. both sound great, the alpine are rated 110rms, 75rms for c5.

rear coaxial- alpine type r spr-60. jl audio c5-650x. jl audio c3-650. i could also go a second type r component set since price difference between the coaxial and component isnt much.

hatch- havent decided if im going to put anything here. may leave it empty, may mod it to fit 6.5's.

4ch amp- alpine mrx-f65. alpine pdx-f4. jl xd400/4. jl xd600/6(if i do hatch speakers).

sub amp- alpine mrx-m110. i MAY even look at the mrx-m240. i dont need the full 1000 to each sub. im not a basshead. going with the 240 would let me run 1500@4ohm vs 1100@2ohm on the 110. it would also give me extra room if i ever upgraded.

subs- 2012 alpine type r (new 1000rms model, pretty much type x). jl w6. jl w7. still havent fully decided if im going 10 or 12", but im leaning towards the sealed camaro box.

i already upgraded to a 200amp alternator, and i already have knu konceptz kolossus fleks 0 gauge running my jl 500/1 and w3v3 now. the 500/1 and w3 will go into my other car when i upgrade. i also plan on gutting the car to dynamat it.
i may have forgotten something, so if i did throw it out there.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettocowboy248
over the next few months ill be getting ready to do a full overhaul on my audio layout. my work lets me get very nice discounts at a well known car audio chain here in michigan, as well as the main store in my company that isnt as car audio oriented, but they carry a couple other brands to choose from.

originally i was leaning toward a jl build. we had a meeting with a few reps last week, and the alpine rep came into my store today and i got to pick his brain some more. from what i got to see from alpine i think im going for an alpine build, but i always like to hear other opinions. im not looking to hear "oh go with this instead" since im going with the brands i can get discounts on.

the jl sounds great, but the new 2012 alpine stuff is awesome and cost is a lot lower. im going to list each piece, and my options. what would you go with and why?

head unit- kenwood excelon kdc-x996. i could go alpine, but i love the excelon units, and i get discount on that too.

very nice unit great choice
front component set- alpine type r spr-60c. jl audio c5-650. both sound great, the alpine are rated 110rms, 75rms for c5.

I would highly suggest taking a look at Hybrid Audio or Arc Audio Black series and Focal
I am running the Hybrid Clarus in my Corvette and these are very very nice. The Arc Black I have in another car and are again super nice.
rear coaxial- alpine type r spr-60. jl audio c5-650x. jl audio c3-650. i could also go a second type r component set since price difference between the coaxial and component isnt much.
The rear speakers are mainly for fill. You do not want a component in the rear of the car. Most guys do not even run rear fill if going for SQ
My suggestion is to go with something like a HYbrid Mirus 6.5 coax and put more money towards your components.
hatch- havent decided if im going to put anything here. may leave it empty, may mod it to fit 6.5's.
stick your 6.5 in there and call it good

4ch amp- alpine mrx-f65. alpine pdx-f4. jl xd400/4. jl xd600/6(if i do hatch speakers).
For quality amps you want to go with either the JL xd or if you can swing them the HD. if Not
ARC Audio KS Series is the way to go for amps.
sub amp- alpine mrx-m110. i MAY even look at the mrx-m240. i dont need the full 1000 to each sub. im not a basshead. going with the 240 would let me run 1500@4ohm vs 1100@2ohm on the 110. it would also give me extra room if i ever upgraded.

subs- 2012 alpine type r (new 1000rms model, pretty much type x). jl w6. jl w7. still havent fully decided if im going 10 or 12", but im leaning towards the sealed camaro box.
Check out the Arc Black subs as well
i already upgraded to a 200amp alternator, and i already have knu konceptz kolossus fleks 0 gauge running my jl 500/1 and w3v3 now. the 500/1 and w3 will go into my other car when i upgrade. i also plan on gutting the car to dynamat it.
i may have forgotten something, so if i did throw it out there.

The Alpine stuff is ok
But if you have the option to go Arc, Focal, Hybrid or JL you will be much happier.

Last edited by DOUBLEDMODS; 05-08-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: new system build