Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring switch for antenna motor...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring switch for antenna motor...

I'm pretty sure I know how this is wired, but I want to make sure. Right now I have a Pioneer head unit, which will keep the antenna up as long as the head unit is turned on. I would rather have it so the antenna only comes up when the "Tuner" source is selected. I know I cannot do this automatically, so I've decided to put a switch in to control the antenna motor. If I understand things correctly, I should wire the switch between the blue coming from the head unit, and the power antenna wire from my Metra adapter (I think this is blue as well). I will have to also connect my remote power lead to this blue wire, but that will be done before the switch (coming from head unit). Does that sound right? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ride-pics.html
Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Earnhardt
I'm pretty sure I know how this is wired, but I want to make sure. Right now I have a Pioneer head unit, which will keep the antenna up as long as the head unit is turned on. I would rather have it so the antenna only comes up when the "Tuner" source is selected. I know I cannot do this automatically, so I've decided to put a switch in to control the antenna motor. If I understand things correctly, I should wire the switch between the blue coming from the head unit, and the power antenna wire from my Metra adapter (I think this is blue as well). I will have to also connect my remote power lead to this blue wire, but that will be done before the switch (coming from head unit). Does that sound right? Thanks for any help.
Sounds right to me, thats how I would do it, that link above me has you hacking into the factory harness, which since you have a pioneer and have that point at the pionner to metra point is better then adding another connection further down the line.

My power antenna motor is shot and is stuck up :-(
Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

I hate stuck up antennas - they just think they're so much better than everyone else.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I hate stuck up antennas - they just think they're so much better than everyone else.
The thing that sucks most is I don't even listen to FM/AM radio, I use my MP3 player for everything. If the weather is good this weekend I'm gonna crack open the case and pop out the gear so it will drop down.

I plan to eventually shave the antenna, but I'm holding off on doing any of the body mods I have planned till I can afford to do them all at once.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Sounds right to me, thats how I would do it, that link above me has you hacking into the factory harness, which since you have a pioneer and have that point at the pionner to metra point is better then adding another connection further down the line.

My power antenna motor is shot and is stuck up :-(
Yeah, I actually saw that post in my searching but figured it was easier with an aftermarket head unit.

I had a dead power antenna motor on my last Firebird. My friend pushed the antenna all the way down into the fender, to the point where I couldn't get it back out. Luckily I never listened to the radio back then - Nowadays I listen to the radio on my way into work in the morning, and having the antenna down really sucks for getting signal.