Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2006 Impala Alternator/Power Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Impala Alternator/Power Problem?

Whats up guys. I have a 2006 Impala LS (3.5L V6) and ive been having a bit of a power problem. I do have a system, (2) 12" Alpine Type R's. I have (1) 1000 watt Alpine amp, which powers the subs with another 400 watt alpine amp, which powers all of my door speakers/tweeters. I DO have a capaciter and a 0 gauge wiring kit. Also i have a red top optima battery. so that is my setup, here is my problem. First off if i have my system up pretty loud (~143db) its getting to where its pretty aggrevating to drive when its cranked up. Inside lights and headlights dim pretty severely now along with my rpms plunging with the bass. That honestly is the least of my worries, what is bothering me the most now is that when im driving down the interstate for example and the system is completely OFF, my interior lights will dim in and out when i get on the gas. And of course as the lights are dimming in and out i can feel the RPMs hesitating along with the dimming of the lights. Also if im on the interstate again for example and i have the cruise control on, as soon as my car needs to speed up a little to keep up with the cruise control the interior lights start fading in and out or dimming in and out again. After researching, I'm guessing my factory alternator is about dead and i need a high output alternator right? Sorry for the detailed thread, i just want to get this fixed. Thanks

Last edited by clemson995; 07-25-2012 at 09:41 PM.