Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tail Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Light Issues

Well after I got my car painted I went to install the lights, I replaced every single bulb with the right ones but i'm having major issues, reverse lights won't come on when car is put in reverse, when I brake the right brake light shines bright and the left side one of the running lights dims down, when I turn the blinkers on left or right on the guage cluster the turn signal stays on it doesn't blink or click, and on the lights when I turn the blinker on they don't even turn on. My dad said I have one or two bad light bulb housings that's making everything go crazy and that the flasher for the blinkers under the dash has gone bad, what do ya'll think is wrong? BTW it's a 93' firebird formula.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

First thing to do is double check ALL BULBS to make sure there in right, the 93 still used the round base bulb type and its possible to get those in "backward" IE brake light contact on parking light, look at the socket and look at the side of the bulb base, those 2 "bumps" on the side where one is higher then the other need to match the high and low in the socket.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The sockets for the bulbs frequently corrode. Take the bulb out look inside the sockets and check for green gunk. It also corrodes the wires coming out of the sockets. Double check those.
As mentioned above, the bulbs have to line up correctly in the socket, they can be put in wrong if you try.
Also check the grounds. There's one by the tail lights behind the carpet if I remember right. There's one beside the dome light and one behind each kick panel up front. I see these cause most of the problems.

A bad ground or the wrong bulb in the wrong housing can cause the flasher work as you're stating.

If you've got corrosion in the sockets solder in new pigtails sockets, you can pick up replacements at the popular autoparts stores
Old 06-16-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have had the same problems before and had to replace the socket pigtails as well. the lights do freaky things when one little thing goes wrong. good luck
Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Well I changed the flasher under the dash, my right turn signal is back but the left side just stays on solid and there's not clicking noise for left turn signal, all the hazard lights work though. I'm kinda stumped as to what the issue could be -_-

Quick Reply: Tail Light Issues