Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power window replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power window replacement...

Well, looks like the time has finally come where I need to replace the factory window motors. The passenger side works fine, but the drivers side has short spurts where it simple won't work.

I really don't want to replace them with the crappy OEM motors. So are there some really good aftermarket ones that work better and last longer?

Also any good write ups online on how to get the door panels off and how to replace the motors?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 100% good luck with 4 motors from Advance Auto. About $35 each, lifetime warranty, about 30 minutes to swap.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did notice when I swapped out my driver side motor that it was louder than the stock motor but I guess that is what you get for the cheaper price. It wasn't that hard to do though. I am going to have to do my passenger side soon.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyRay
Also any good write ups online on how to get the door panels off and how to replace the motors?
Yup, check the FAQ at the top of this section.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 348 Likes on 319 Posts

Well, looks like the time has finally come where I need to replace the factory window motors.
That's a long time. You could be the luckiest person on the fact of the earth. If I were you, I'd go play the lottery!

I really don't want to replace them with the crappy OEM motors. So are there some really good aftermarket ones that work better and last longer?
This is sound reasoning. You should take care to get the Dorman design motor. Its 100% new and an updated design that is better sealed and is supposed to last longer. They have been out for several years now and I have yet to see a post of one going bad. I have them on my car and they are really stout. (Our original motor was installed on GM cars in the 60's!!!)

Another recommendation - be sure to use the shbox method for replacement. This will keep your regulator rivets untouched and your fragile door skin around the rivets tight.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the replies!! $35 for the advance auto ones doesn't sound bad at all. Heck I was expecting to pay 5x that since nothing it seems is cheap to replace. LOL

I will have to check out the Dorman motors. If they are that much better then heck might as well upgrade to those. I hate to spend a ton of money, but heck if that are THAT much better then a bit more money may lead to being alot happier with them in the long run.