Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery voltage

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery voltage

I recently had low voltage(all camaros do from what I've read) so I swapped in a 180 amp escalade alternator, it fixed it a little bit, 12.8-13.2 volts running instead of 12.2-12.6, is there a good re-build kit to up the voltage of the alternator more to bring me closer to 14.2 while running? Kind of sick of low voltage.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 343 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000z28ss
I recently had low voltage(all camaros do from what I've read) so I swapped in a 180 amp escalade alternator, it fixed it a little bit, 12.8-13.2 volts running instead of 12.2-12.6, is there a good re-build kit to up the voltage of the alternator more to bring me closer to 14.2 while running? Kind of sick of low voltage.
Voltage generally has nothing to do with the amperage of your alternator. They all produce the same voltage and have voltage regulators in them that keep things around a constant 13.2V, which is the theoretical max voltage of your battery.

If you have 12.8-13.2 volts, you are in good shape and your battery will be happy.

That being said, if you have too much of a load on your alternator, then you'll see a voltage drop. (You'll always see the voltage drop a few ticks when you turn on the A/C, etc.) If you are stock, you shouldn't see anything like this. Likewise a H.O. alternator like you installed is the way to combat voltage drop - but this should only be needed for a H.O. engine or a car with a lot of electronic accessories.

Quick Reply: Battery voltage