Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound like overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sound like overkill?

Buddy of mine just ordered 2 Fi SSD custom spec'd 1400+rms subs and a HiFonics Brutus 1700.1D amp for his WS6...I know very basic things about audio setups but that sounds like complete overkill to me opinions?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless your in a world sound competition.. i would say so... that brutus amp alone can power a motley crue show lol.. tell him watch that back window!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, no not overkill. Your looking at 600 to 850 rms per sub depending on what load the load the amp has on it.
Its always better to have to much than not enough power, and that's not even to much.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, I think he's going to run into some issues with under-powering those subs depending on what enclosure he goes with. The volume available in a f-body isn't that much, and to be able to drive those speakers relatively well at higher volumes while in a small enclosure is going to take more umph than that single 1700.1 can dish out.

Personally, I think he's over-his-head on what he's doing. Unless he's going to do a 1500.1 or 1700.1 per sub, a massive custom alternator, and probably a Deep-Cycle large capacity battery he's just going to make noise and sound/perform like crap.

But to answer your origional question, I don't think it's too much. But I do think there's a lot of other stuff that needs to be taken into account and modified before those are just "dropped in".

Side note: I run a 10" Adire Audio Brahma off a Brutus 1500.1 in a ~1cF ported enclosure in my Jeep; it brutally strains the charging system; but I can dump all the amp has into the sub and the sub just asks for more. My single 10 in that TINY enclosure is louder than most multi-sub "thump machines" that trump the neighborhood; not to mention it sounds a TON cleaner.

Quick Reply: Sound like overkill?