Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

RPM dependent buzz in Monsoon system

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unhappy RPM dependent buzz in Monsoon system

I have a completely untouched stock Monsoon system in my 02 camaro. I was swapping the lights in my 02 camaro monsoon deck with LEDs and before I swapped them out I used my multi-meter to check which side of the lights was + and -. I accidentally slipped and touched the probes together and got a small spark and basically fried the deck (wouldn't turn on, but I could hear the amp click on and off a few times).
I got a replacement 02 monsoon deck and plugged it in and now I have a buzz (similar to a ground loop) that changes pitch with RPM. It happens if the radio/cd is on OR off (but only with the engine running). The rest of the system works perfectly. The buzz noise will only go away if I completely unplug the deck from the harness.
I thought maybe I got a bad head unit with a bad ground so I tried a friends deck and still have the same buzzing.
Do you think I fried the amp back by the spare tire when I briefly shorted the light leads when I was checking polarity? It seems like the noise is coming mostly from the rear hatch speakers. Could I have back fed something into the alternator messing that up? The charging system seems to be working fine (putting out 14+V withe the engine running with my multi-meter), but it is the original alternator with 85k miles on it.
The buzzing seems to get more pronounced with more of a draw on the electrical system (lights on, defroster on, brake lights on, etc...).
I'd like to not band-aid this with a ground-loop isolator if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine recently started doing the same, aftermarket deck though. Haven't had time to really look into it
Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Launching!

UPDATE: I replaced the headunit and amp with other stock pieces (matching part #'s) and the noise is still there
Any ideas out there?...Battery? Alternator?
Thanks
Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this problem in my SS. Not sure what it is. Could install a ground loop isolator and see if that fixes it.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
I had this problem in my SS. Not sure what it is. Could install a ground loop isolator and see if that fixes it.
This sounds like it'd be the best option to start with, it sounds like you have a bad ground connection or your amp is having some issues. Also try changing out your fuses for the stereo as it may be failing and getting a loop. Hope it helps.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Launching!

I think I fixed it...I loosened and re-tightened my battery cables and the noise has been gone for a couple of days now...fingers crossed. Must have just been a coincidence that this started when my radio lights blew.
I can't believe I didn't try that first

Quick Reply: RPM dependent buzz in Monsoon system