Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

1999 Camaro Z28 Stereo & Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1999 Camaro Z28 Stereo & Sound System

So this weekend I just got my T-Top Z28. However it had a 7" DVD Stereo in the dash. It's but it's too big and from what the guy told me it's blocking the A/C flow form the center vents. What I want to do is put maybe a 5" or something that's not too big and not too small but fit's just right and doesn't cut off the air flow from the

Any recomendations?

Also I want get a singe 10" sub with what custom box that just hides in the trunk and a decent amp. However I don't know where I can hide that amp. Any ideas. I don't want it in the trunk. I want it hidden somewhere maybe under one of the seats.

What I really want is a decent system that has a nice quality and sound.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I know I shouldn't say this because maybe someone will chew me out....but I used my sail panel speaker wires and wired them to my 10' dual voice coil sub in the stealth box. My stock amp has enough juice to shake my car :p but its only a suggestion.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya chew out is coming... were u at so i can give u a smack across the back of the head hahaha..

Look into the Massive Audio NX series NANO block amps... they are the smallest amps on the market and they can be hidden under one of the panels were the hatch speakers are.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

This 7" stereo... is it a standard double DIN head unit or is it a flip-up screen? If it's an in-dash double DIN then there's no way it's blocking the A/C. If it's a flip-up then maybe you should consider a different style of head unit altogether - I don't think they make smaller ones. Besides, I've never understood the purpose of a flip-up screen. Only an ignorant fool watches video while driving and watching while parked just seems like something a homeless person would do.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's standard Double Din head unit, I honestly have no idea how it's blocking the A/C. What the guy told me was when he got it installed in the car, who ever installed it said that they needed to plug off the A/C from the center since the stereo was so big.

I just want a decent stereo with a good OS so I can store music on the stereo its self and and find songs or whatever is easy.

(Thanks TyCZ28 that's for the info, I'll look into it.)
Old 11-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Many of us have installed double DIN head units without any problem related to the vents behind it. Assuming that the installer wasn't an idiot (probably not a safe assumption) and that the HU really was non-standard depth, you should be able to replace it with almost any modern double DIN HU and reestablish the ventilation. You don't have to go to a smaller screen - just get one that isn't as deep. But I would pull the existing HU first and check that it really does interfere with the vents and how much damage the installer did to them.

There aren't that many HU that feature much internal storage but most will use a USB flash drive for storage giving you essentially unlimited space. I use one of these micro flash drives that doesn't noticeably stick out of the USB port and allows you to keep a collection of micro-SDHC cards up to 64GB each.

Quick Reply: 1999 Camaro Z28 Stereo & Sound System