Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Critique this audio setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Critique this audio setup

Hi All,

Ive read through the stickies and some threads.

I have the following mash up of audio items. Some i got brand new for free (long story) others i bought with a big discount. I'm trying to just replace my monsoon setup because the speakers are blown, i have a cassette deck, and i just want something different.

I'm not looking for anything other than a slight upgrade from stock with a backup cam, dvd, mp3 etc. I'm not even planning on changing out the monsoon amp, nor do i want to add a stealth box or a 10" sub.

So heres what i have:

Pioneer TS-D161R Coax speaker. 4 ohm. 60w nom power (free)
Pioneer TS-G1641R Coax speaker. 4 ohm. 30w nom power (free)
Boss 7" BV9558) double din headunit. backup cam. all associated install parts (next to nothing)

I also found some Pioneer TS-T15 tweeters, not sure if ill need them.

I will also be dynamatting the interior when i will have the car apart for some work on the cage.

So my questions are:

1. Which speaker set would you use in the front?
2. If i need to buy 6.5 subs, i would. So if so, which speakers of the two would you go with in the front doors?
3. I have the tweeters, but I'm not sure if i should even use them. The speakers I have are not setup to wire the center tweeter to the other separate tweeter channel in the door.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Pioneer sucks ***. Sell everything you have,lol.

Also whats your budget?
You have to understand that you need to have your speaker match your amps. Not brand wise but ohms. How many speakers, what setup ( in series or ?)

I would use alpine head unit for sure and depending on your budget for your door speakers. Make sure you get crossovers if you run tweeters.

Theres so much details when it come to car audio, its just like a motor. Every little thing effects the other.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the quick reply. I was more or less looking at what i have in my possession right now.

I'm leaning towards just installed the 30W speakers in the front and installing some 6.5 subs in the sail panels, keeping the monsoon amp, and running the head unit I have. I don't think the 60W speakers will work well with the monsoon amp's output.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

I would ditch the Boss Audio HU, I had one and in less then 3 days it did this (see attached) to my amp from "hard off" (loud "thump" from sub when shutting off the radio). I will never use there products again.
Attached Thumbnails Critique this audio setup-100_0317-copy.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Boss is trash, the pioneers r ok. Way better than stock. Trash the monsoon set up its going to hold u back in the long run n kill ur sound quality, I'd do 6 1/2 up front n a 3 or 4 way speaker. ( keeping budget in mind ) don't spend a lot of money n the back for mids and highs remember ur up front. Back becomes ambient noise. Ur head unit is the hart of ur sound. Trash the boss!! Go with a good pioneer. Easy user friendly set up on eq ect. I do this for a living I'm not gonna bs u. I promise ull be happy in the end
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

You may do it for a living but it's hard to take someone seriously when they post like a teenage girl. This isn't twitter - try using real words with correct spelling if you want people to pay attention.

OP, using any coaxial speaker in place of the factory components isn't ideal but can be done with reasonable results. Both of those Pioneer sets will work but I would use the TS-D161R set. Pioneer's description implies that they need more power but they don't - they are rated at 90dB sensitivity compared to 91dB for the TS-G1641R (an almost insignificant difference). Pioneer's use of the term "nominal power" is what the rest of us call "RMS power" so the TS-D speakers can handle twice as much power without giving up sensitivity. If you have access to the tweeter leads on the back of the speakers, you can convert the coaxial speakers to components by cutting the tweeter leads and connecting them to the tweeter channels from the amp.

I agree with the others who have suggested getting rid of the Boss head unit but it will work as a temporary solution - just don't expect much quality. On the other hand - contrary to some posters - the Monsoon amp will not "kill ur sound quality". It's not particularly powerful but it does a good job of powering eight channels with no noticeable distortion as long as it's given a clean input signal.

Check with our sponsors Kee Audio or Double D Mods for 6.5" sub replacements for the sail panels. Many members have been pleased with the inexpensive Bazooka subs or you can get better quality from CDT or even Kicker.

HU, door speakers and sail panel subs will give you a noticeable improvement in sound quality over stock. For many, that is enough. The nice thing is that the cost is not high and it doesn't prevent you from upgrading in the future if you decide you want more.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

To everyone who replied. Thank you very much for your help.

I'll post updates on how it went.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You may do it for a living but it's hard to take someone seriously when they post like a teenage girl. This isn't twitter - try using real words with correct spelling if you want people to pay attention.

OP, using any coaxial speaker in place of the factory components isn't ideal but can be done with reasonable results. Both of those Pioneer sets will work but I would use the TS-D161R set. Pioneer's description implies that they need more power but they don't - they are rated at 90dB sensitivity compared to 91dB for the TS-G1641R (an almost insignificant difference). Pioneer's use of the term "nominal power" is what the rest of us call "RMS power" so the TS-D speakers can handle twice as much power without giving up sensitivity. If you have access to the tweeter leads on the back of the speakers, you can convert the coaxial speakers to components by cutting the tweeter leads and connecting them to the tweeter channels from the amp.

I agree with the others who have suggested getting rid of the Boss head unit but it will work as a temporary solution - just don't expect much quality. On the other hand - contrary to some posters - the Monsoon amp will not "kill ur sound quality". It's not particularly powerful but it does a good job of powering eight channels with no noticeable distortion as long as it's given a clean input signal.

Check with our sponsors Kee Audio or Double D Mods for 6.5" sub replacements for the sail panels. Many members have been pleased with the inexpensive Bazooka subs or you can get better quality from CDT or even Kicker.

HU, door speakers and sail panel subs will give you a noticeable improvement in sound quality over stock. For many, that is enough. The nice thing is that the cost is not high and it doesn't prevent you from upgrading in the future if you decide you want more.
Also...I checked the speakers and i don't really have access to the tweeter located in the center. Should i both installing these other tweeters i have on hand or just leave well enough alone?

Quick Reply: Critique this audio setup