Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

PIE adapter 2000+ Monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIE adapter 2000+ Monsoon

I sent PIE an e-mail about their adapter to allow 2 RCA inputs.

Here was my e-mail to them:

Hello

I own a 2000 Camaro with the Monsoon system, in-dash CD player, and 12 disc changer in the hatch area.

I would like to use your adapter to control an XM radio unit through RCA jacks instead of the FM modulator.

Will this work on my car if I un plug the CD changer? It mentions that you must have the Tape/AUX button for this to work, but I was thinking if I took out the changer, your adapter would work.

Thanks

Brad Ferguson

Today I got this response:

PIE part # X3 and X3-GM9 will hook up between your CD-Changer and headunit.
It will allow upto 3 sets of RCA's to be intergrated. It will not control any source. It will just allow Audio input.

Thank you for contacting PIE.

I am guessing this answers the question of whether or not the PIE adapter will work with the factory cd changer to add XM radio or an MP3 player.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:21 AM
TECH Regular

Old 04-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Nope. They're talking about an entirely different adapter. The X3 plugs into the external CD changer cable but uses a separate switch that you have to mount somewhere to switch between input sources. The original question was about using the PIE GM9-AUX adapter to add another source (such as satellite radio) so that you can switch to it using the CD/Play button (or AUX button on Camaro) on the head unit. PIE says that the GM9-AUX will only work on 2001 and newer models but we already know that the major change to GM head units happened in mid-1999 so we think they have the wrong year.

Yes, you can use the X3 but I suggest you check their web site to get an idea of what the wired remote looks like to see if that's what you really want.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, that does seem like a bit much for just adding XM radio. I don't want that huge switch.

So, does anyone know if you can use the GM9-AUX on a 2000 with the in-dash CD player, and external factory CD changer?