Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

question about aftermarket head unit...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about aftermarket head unit...

Hey this is just a quick question. Im new to stereos and such i have a new pioneer deh-4300ub. now heres where my question comes in. It says its a 4 x 50w stereo. im under the impresssion that that means it only runs 4 speakers? and i want to put this in my 2002 camaro which i thought i read that it has 8 speakers of so. Will this radio work if i get the adapter so it will plug right in just like the monsoon stereo will?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will work just fine, no special adapter needed. Just the typical connector you can get anywhere. Your factory speakers are powered by a factory amp, to the power rating on your aftermarket head unit won't really apply.

You are correct, all you need is the regular adapter to wire to the head unit, and plug it right into factory wiring. Note that you may have an extra plug left over, depending on steering wheel controls/external cd changer if your car came factory with either of those.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bill12690
It will work just fine, no special adapter needed. Just the typical connector you can get anywhere. Your factory speakers are powered by a factory amp, to the power rating on your aftermarket head unit won't really apply.

You are correct, all you need is the regular adapter to wire to the head unit, and plug it right into factory wiring. Note that you may have an extra plug left over, depending on steering wheel controls/external cd changer if your car came factory with either of those.
okay great thanks for the answer. The car does have steering wheel controls, and i read in the monsoon sticky there is something i can get to make those work. It also has a external cd changer, but im probably gonna take that out. Again thank you for the reply

Quick Reply: question about aftermarket head unit...