Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Clockspring help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody. I have an 05 gto. Airbag light has been on since purchase and I believe it is the clockspring. I removed it and checked continuity from yellow clip that plugs into airbag to the pins on connector on back of clockspring. Wires have continuity through the whole unit, so I know clockspring itself is good, but there isn't any continuity between one of the wires going into yellow connector, and the pin that actually pushes onto airbag. I was able to pry the back of connector apart to expose the insides, and on that wire, it goes into a little yellow box. (Resistor?) Before going to the pin, that is where it loses continuity.
So is that box bad, am I testing it wrong, can it be replaced?

Clockspring help-2012-12-27-11.33.08.jpg

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-31-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawlz
Airbag light has been on since purchase and I believe it is the clockspring.
Why do you believe this? When this happens with a used car, the thing has usually been in an accident and repaired incorrectly. Have you had the SIR module scanned for codes? (That will tell you where the problem is.)
Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guy I bought car from said airbag light started coming on when he had someone replace ignition lock cylinder. Steering wheel (and maybe clockspring) was removed. I brought it to dealer to reset/check for codes, the tech said that it won't reset, and it isn't showing any codes...
I need to know if I'm testing this properly because I don't want to spend bunch of $ on clockspring, and not fix problem.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

If you have a light on, you have a code. The dealer's tech probably didn't know what he/she was doing. The codes for this light are in a separate module but should have come up on their Tech II.

I think you are good to be cautious with this. The last owner's "guy" could have done anything. For example, if they swapped the steering column, air bag, or even stole the good old airbag, there are other issues to be dealt with.

Very odd that the dealer couldn't quickly point to what was wrong... I'd take it back and talk to a senior tech about it.

Quick Reply: Clockspring help