Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dynamat

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamat

Just wondering how sound dampening material, ie Dynamat, NVX... is installed on the front doors. My GTO has a layer of plastic covering the metal door skin. Just wondering if this is removed and the dampening material put in its place?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

typically it replaces the plastic, but it wouldn't hurt to put the plastic over top of it when done, also some people do a layer on the inside of the outside door panel before doing th e inside of the inside door panel like your talking about.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dynamat is great...I'd use hushmat instead though.... its about 15% lighter and has the same effect of Dynamat.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 893 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by DemonicZ
Dynamat is great...I'd use hushmat instead though.... its about 15% lighter and has the same effect of Dynamat.
Agreed. I've used Hushmat and Ramatt. Ramatt is cheaper but Hushmatt was a lot easier to use.

OP, when I sound deadend my Firehawk I removed the plastic on the door and installed the Hushmat then put the plastic back over it.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I was looking at a write-up for speaker installs and saw a picture of the door with that plastic and I had never seen it before on my other vehicles (they're old) so I wondered what it was for. I didn't go with Dynamat, I went with NVX. It got a lot of praise with many reviewers comparing to Dynamat, and it was a little cheaper. I'm installing it along with Rockford components all the way around and a 10" Rockford T1 in the trunk this weekend. I'll post about it then and let you know how I feel about the NVX.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

I have another question. If I'm putting the sub in the trunk, should I put dampening material on the panel behind the rear seats? Will it negatively affect the sound quality of the sub?

Quick Reply: Dynamat