Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2000 Trans Am Convertible Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe you're just try to play it louder than the factor Amplifier capabilities. You might just need to step up to a good aftermarket 4channel amplifier.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upgrade your HU to a decent (not cheap) aftermarket unit that has HPF's and LPF's then add a sub, generally trying to get BASS from a full range speaker is only going to get distortion, as for your doors, take a look inside the door, I had a felt piece thats one of the "guides" for the window in the bottom of mine, also it wouldn't hurt to add some sound deadening to the inside of the outer door skin.

If you are anywhere near North Georgia I would say come on over and I'll show you how clean a properly setup radio can sound and I still need to get an amp for my doors and sails.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, you can get a nice Single DIN HU in the $140-$250 range that should have everything you need/want. Actually with a convertible you're going to need more power than a hard top just to overcome wind/road noise, so I'd recommend at least a 60-120 watt rms 2channel Amplifier for the front speakers.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:03 PM

Thanks all, I'll keep that in mind.

I had done some more tuning. If I turn down the bass most of the way, I can get a pretty clean deep sound. Sounds pretty good. However, driving around, with the top down, was a challenge. I think that's what my problem was. When your driving, you don't hear the quality bass, therefore, you try and turn it up, and its a sloppy bass sound.. Make sense?

Last edited by mthake; 04-21-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its never going to sound good with the top down, trust me..
You can get it to sound decent with the top down, but you`ll need to invest $$$$ to do that..
I`m still working on redoing my stereo just so I can get it to sound "decent" with the top down, especially with the loud exhaust I have now..
Old 04-29-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

FYI, if you don't use the rear seat/s for people, but use them for groceries and such, then you could make or have made a small sealed subwoofer enclosure (.7-1cu.ft.) that should occupy not much more space than one of the bottom seat cushions it would replace. The key to making it effective is to build the enclosure with a bass reinforcement board mounted at least 3-4" above the subwoofer, also with the board mounted up above the subwoofer you could still make use of that area for temporary storage, while also protect the subwoofer from damage and prying eyes.
A 8"-10" subwoofer should work good as long as it's mounting depth isn't really deep.
I would think the build cost shouldn't be to high.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM

I've come to the same conclusion. With the loud exhaust, and the top down, there's no way to get a decent sound. Oh well, that's OK.

As for the rear seats, its a great idea, but I have 8 & 9 year old girls...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mthake
I've come to the same conclusion. With the loud exhaust, and the top down, there's no way to get a decent sound. Oh well, that's OK.

As for the rear seats, its a great idea, but I have 8 & 9 year old girls...
Yeah, give it a few years and they won't want anything to do with sitting in the rear seats, anyway I'd think just doing a driver side rear seat sub box would be more that enough to give you good bass.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 05-02-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am Convertible Stereo