Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stealth box question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth box question

I have a few questions about a DIY stealthbox. I read about making one out of a 5 gallon bucket here, https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ox-i-made.html I asked questions in that thread but didn't get a response and I've tried searching it more but haven't found anything. Basically I just want to know how the sound quality compares to making one totally out of mdf. Will it sound roughly the same? It just seems like an easy cheaper way of doing it. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert, but I cant imagine using a paint pail is a great idea. I can see it vibrating a lot and just creating a poor sound. I'd go the MDF route or buy one premade.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

that bucket stealth box is about the most "ghetto rigged" box I've seen in years, I put it up there with the folks that build there boxes out of plywood.

even the one place he used MDF he somehow found 1/2" MDF which most stores don't even carry, your supposed to use 3/4" MDF, you need things to be a certain density for the sound to be right.

You get what you pay for, do it right or don't do it.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
that bucket stealth box is about the most "ghetto rigged" box I've seen in years, I put it up there with the folks that build there boxes out of plywood.

even the one place he used MDF he somehow found 1/2" MDF which most stores don't even carry, your supposed to use 3/4" MDF, you need things to be a certain density for the sound to be right.

You get what you pay for, do it right or don't do it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Alright, I'm no expert in audio at all so I was just curious. I ended up making mine out of MDF anyway!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double d mods, 69 bucks. That bucket thing Wtf

Quick Reply: Stealth box question