Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

The Best Sub In The World...Going in the Z this week!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianIce25
I know power capability doesnt imply anything but that, but at the same time Id say that power handling is directly related to the loudness of the speaker. Even with efficiency in mind, I doubt the efficience of a W7 will make up for the 50% more power handling of the MTX. In either case though, I bet all of you would agree that this thunder 9500 is of the same caliber as a W7 or any L7 or even a Solo X. Definetely one of the nicest speakers ive ever bought. But will it be louder than 2-$200 12's??? We'll find out this week. Like I said, I have heard 1-10" W7, and it was loud, but I cant see it being louder than this 9500...
Power handling is not always directly related to how much excursion a sub produces. There are a few less known brands that have excursions approaching and exceeding that of your beloved MTX. I'm not bagging on MTX, JL, Kicker, or any brand, i'm just saying that the big boys have large advertising budgets, and hype the hell out of their woofers. Look at some other brands, and their specs and prices, you might be suprised:

http://www.edesignaudio.com
http://www.respl.com/
http://www.ddaudio.com/
http://www.adireaudio.com/

Last edited by Snootch; 07-10-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

i have a W7 13.5 in my tahoe powered by the JL 1000/1, and i wouldnt have gone any other way. All you need is just one.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not a car audio salesman, but ive done it as a hobby for a long time. I agree that the test im talking about was performed for MTX, so it may not be all that accurate, but in either case, the MTX survived more power than the jl or kicker. The video was playing on some lcd screens they had in the store, but i think they were just free standing (free air), or sealed, and in any case, a sub will handle more power in a sealed box. And free air, although neither of these subs are supposed to be mounted free air, it leaves them all with the same resistance, so its a fair test.
If you are talking about the video where they had the Kicker, JL w7, and the MTX sub all running free air and it could take like 120+ volts or something like that then that's the one I'm referencing.

My comment to that is don't forget that they don't tell you the frequency they are doing the test at and that can make a BIG difference in how much power the sub is actually getting so it's not an accurate test to say it took more power with the info they give. With more details that statement could be backed up though. Maybe it did take more power but I'm just commenting.

The frequency that it was done at can make one sub get 1000 watts while another one only gets like 250 watts. Remember, the impedance of the sub depends on what frequency the sub is playing (when we are talking test tones like this especially) and the impedance the sub is at then lets you know how many watts the sub is getting at that frequency. Just an FYI for you on that.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

I would put my 15" Resonat Engineering XXX against that MTX or the W7 any day of the week.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah...buy that thing if you want...but listen to subs before you buy them. I personally have hated every MTX sub I have heard. I think they sound like trash. Other people disagree otherwise MTX wouldn't be in business. Point being everybody has a different taste for music and what sounds good, so listen to them before you take a magazine's word for it.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Old 05-07-2004, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a TREO sub, theyre bad azz. i sold and installed for cicuit city for a few years and now my friend and former roadshop manager has his own business. We carry planet audio as our main line, the TREO subs,( not made by planet)but sound kick ***. We had a guy with an spl wagon, had 6 mtx 8000 series 12's in it. had the old mtx amps (the good ones). had 2 tractor batteries and a alternator off a kenworth on it..it was an izuzu pickup we had to cutom fab the alternator brakets in place of the power steering pump..anways back to the point we recently installed 2 TREO 15's with a Planet 2200W amp in a nissan ext cab pu. Sounds as loud or louder than the izuzu setup. have not had a chance to spl drag it. MTX is a good brand but i wouldnt give them the worlds best sub title. good luck to you though im sure it will sound badd *** when your done.
matt
Old 05-08-2004, 12:39 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know power capability doesnt imply anything but that, but at the same time Id say that power handling is directly related to the loudness of the speaker. Even with efficiency in mind, I doubt the efficience of a W7 will make up for the 50% more power handling of the MTX. In either case though, I bet all of you would agree that this thunder 9500 is of the same caliber as a W7 or any L7 or even a Solo X. Definetely one of the nicest speakers ive ever bought. But will it be louder than 2-$200 12's??? We'll find out this week. Like I said, I have heard 1-10" W7, and it was loud, but I cant see it being louder than this 9500...

Your not getting what everyone's saying. I agree, to be blunt, MTX subs suck. I've hated them and their business for a good many years, and have yet to see something that even remotely sparks an interest.

JL subs are not even comparable to the sound of MTXs. I agree, I have YET to hear one of these subs actually sound any good. IMO enclosures are everything. Running different subs in the same box will NOT give you the best comparison between them. Each sub is going to sound it's best in a specified enclosure, built to fit the sub.

One of my favorite component companies right now is Adire Audio. Ever heard of them? You probably haven't because they won't be found in a mag like Car and Audio. You may have enjoyed perusing through your Crutchfield and Car and Audio mags since you were 15. But there is a hell of a lot more involved in this area than most people think.

I'm also wondering how many boxes you've built thus far? Building the perfect box for your sub isn't going to be easy, and success will surely not be found after the first try.

I'm not trying to be an a-hole. I say get on some audio boards and ask away. I mean in all honesty, you haven't even heard the sub yet. You have no idea what it's going to sound like. You've just read the MTX "our subs are so technologically advanced" BS on their website, and seen a mag do a test that doesn't prove jack
Old 05-08-2004, 02:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah Im curious as to how thay actually sound, Ive been in the hobby for a while, used to sell for CC and all that good stuff and some of the best sounding subs iv heard are IDs and also I really like my Infinity kappa perficts VQs ( the mangnisum cones not the aluminum ) both of they dont need goobs of power, play loud as **** ( ok maybe wont win spl comps but hey, not important for lisnting while driving )and most off all sound good doing it

FYI I pitted my 2 kappy perfs VQs ( 10 inch mind u in my 72 camaro ) on an orion HCCA 2100 against a buddy ( who also worked at CC ) who had 3 MTX 8000 10s (yeah not the 9500s i know ) on 3 MTX 801Ds in his BMW 740 and every one at the store agreed Mine was not only louder but much cleaner and tighter sounding. but hey the 9500s could really rock, id have to hear to believe it though based on past experiances with mtx but in this world, anything is possible.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

**** i went to car toys today to try and listen to this godly 9500 and they didnt have it, they did have the 7500 and the 8500.... they had them in a nice ported box built "perfect for the sub" and granted they were loud, they had no comparison to the clean bass comin from the w7 in a horribly cheap box that the w7 hit the grill. MTX subs are loud and can give u that shirt moving feeling, but when it comes to quality and cleaness JL all the way. (i didnt hear any of those other comapnies yall were talkin about though)
Old 05-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Launching!

How much power a sub can handle doesn't tell you how good it sounds. A lower powered JL sub can sound better than a speaker that handles twice the power. Sure maybe the MTX has more technology going behind it in the power handling side. But who cares if it doesn't have good detailed sound quality coming out.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

So asian.... it's been a week..... how do you like it?
Old 05-14-2004, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Personaly if i had a f-body i would just put a bad *** exhaust system roll down the windows and call it good.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Snootch
Power handling is not always directly related to how much excursion a sub produces. There are a few less known brands that have excursions approaching and exceeding that of your beloved MTX. I'm not bagging on MTX, JL, Kicker, or any brand, i'm just saying that the big boys have large advertising budgets, and hype the hell out of their woofers. Look at some other brands, and their specs and prices, you might be suprised:

http://www.edesignaudio.com
http://www.respl.com/
http://www.ddaudio.com/
http://www.adireaudio.com/
I agree 100%. MTX, JL, Kicker, etc are all good companies with proven products, but there are MANY audio companies that dont advertise as much that make much better subs. My 12" Adire Brahmas xmax is 28mm..more than the MTX. Either way, i hope the sub gives you the sound your looking for.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FutureFbodowner
Personaly if i had a f-body i would just put a bad *** exhaust system roll down the windows and call it good.

I agree 100%
Old 06-25-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, let's ASSume that these are the greatest subs in the world... BUT are you EVER going to run them at their full potential?? Or even close to it? In an F-Body??? As you can see in my sig I have two 10" type-r's and only a Mono 250w JL amp... and to tell you what, these things are SO f@#$ing loud i only run them at 1/4 of what my 250w amp can power (Meaning, since the subs are rated at 1000w, my 250w amp can only power them to 1/4 of their max, and THEN me powering them at 1/4 of that makes it only 1/16 of their potential). They're loud, they're clean, and I wouldn't wany anything more. I dont sit in parking lots waiting for people to come around and ask what type of system I have cuz it's so loud/obnoxious. JL and Alpine are solid companies that make quality products no matter how much they can/can't handle. My system may not make you say "oooh ahhh", but it sure as hell sounds insanely good and accurate, and I'm the only one that has to listen to it all the time, not any magazine or general public... And my .02 has just run out.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Give me a Blueprint sub, tumult, brahma, or other lesser known DIY subs over MTX anyday!
Old 06-30-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Idmax > Mtx
Old 07-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Old 07-10-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

dude you need to get a grip. The 9500 isn't quite the "W7 Killer" that MTX has touted it to be.

It ends up with about as much linear displacement for any given size, but lacks the linearity of the W7.

It's just a standard SGLC design. It'll get loud, and should sound pretty decent, but it's still a notch below the W7, Brahma, XXX, and any other flat BL woofer in that displacement category.

The design does feature an intelligent use of aluminum to help reduce inductance (although MTX's published inductance numbers are pretty optimistic), but it doesn't have anywhere near the linear suspension travel or motor linearity of the W7.

Cool woofer, but a W7 Killer? No...

Quick Reply: The Best Sub In The World...Going in the Z this week!!!