Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ditching Monsoon in '02 WS6, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ditching Monsoon in '02 WS6, suggestions?

The previous owner replaced the factory stereo with a Sony single din, almost positive the rest of the system is still stock, just blew the right sail panel speaker.

Curious as to what systems you guys are running and how difficult it was to wire it all up? Thinking of either finding the best single din I can find or maybe a flip screen. I don't want to go to the trouble let of modifying the dash for a double din.

I have 2 12 inch Rockford Fosgate P2's in my closet that I had in my old truck, I'd like to use them if there is a box to make them fit.

What speaker suggestions do ya'll have for the door and sail panels? Is it worth it to replace the hatch speakers? Is new wiring required for replacements since I am ditching all the monsoon crap? Wiling to spend a little money but not exactly competition quality.

Also I am not an audiophile and technical details will go over.my head, lol. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

You should read the stickies in this section. The answers to all your questions are in there. Particularly your situation with the sail panels. You will want to confirm what amp your system is using before going further.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

I know you said you're not ready to go DDINbut it's really a very easy install. I have an avic D3 and love it. You can get them for under $300 and there are really sweet images on here for backgrounds. I have the bird logo and some people think it's factory. It really brings the car into this century lol.

Just my .02
Old 04-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Launching!

I replaced my monsoon system, probably 10-11 yrs ago. Factory speakers blew and were about $75 a piece for poor quality speakers. I put in a din and a half head unit (can't find anymore). I decided to keep the basic layout the same, meaning 6" speakers in the doors (JBL's), 6 1/2" subwoofers in the back seat. I wound up keeping the little speakers in the very back because they were 4 ohm speakers. At the time I could find no aftermarket 2 ohm speakers. You can now, but this was years ago. I have kicker subwoofers now that pound pretty good. Tons better than the monsoons. I had an old 400 watt amp that was enough to power the subwoofers. With everything in that location, I wound up with good bass, and excellent sound clarity.

It took me and a buddy of mine a whole afternoon to run the wires and hook everything up, but it was well worth it. Sounded much better than the factory monsoon system.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-05-2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts

Quick Reply: ditching Monsoon in '02 WS6, suggestions?