Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: Which is it?
Speaker
71.43%
Amp
14.29%
Wiring
14.29%
Headunit
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Taking bets...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Taking bets...

I transplanted some MB Quart Premium Referenz 6.5 components out of my Firehawk and into my SS. On certain frequencies (or sounds), I hear sort of a whistle/ring sound. Hard to describe. It's an sharp noise that can be heard especially on words with "S" in them and it's only noticeable at high volume. I can only hear it out of 1 side.

What is wrong? Blown tweeter, bad wiring, bad amp or bad headunit?

Eclipse 8v preout CD
MTX 800.4
MB Quart PSC 216
(and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't matter)
Old 05-25-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

The tweeter probably isnt blown but the surround is probably slight torn or deformed. Try swapping the tweeter that works for the one that doesnt and see if its still on the same side. That will elminate if its the tweeter or something before it. It could be vibrating a panel as well as the MB Quart speakers are very sharp sounding especially in their lower lines of speakers. You may need to look into bringing down the atenuation in the tweeter.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Where's installation? Sounds like a resonance to me.

(But hey, what do I know? I hope it's something easy to fix for your sake... You have to chase some noises all around the car sometimes. lol)
Old 05-26-2004, 11:25 AM
Teching In

I've never experienced that problem with my Mb Quarts but I saw something similar occur with some pioneer components, with his it was a wiring problem
Old 05-26-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The speaker is mounted in the Camaro door just above and to the right of the 6.5 speaker. 2" hole saw and 10 minutes later and the speaker was mounted. While mounting the speakers, my fingers slipped and pushed pretty hard on my metal tweater. I'm not sure if it's the same one and I'm not convinced what I did actually damaged the speaker. The sound seems to come and go. My guess is either a screwed up speaker or I put a screw through the wiring running to the door.