Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Trans Am sail panel replacements

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am sail panel replacements

Sorry for the tired topic... I’m looking to see if anyone has links or model #’s of some basic, reasonably priced replacements for the Trans Am sail panel speakers (Delco 09365799). The least expensive I’ve found are OEM replacements for $47 each but honestly I’m not looking to spend that much. The ones I have now rattle and vibrate so I’ve pulled them out just to stop that nasty noise. I don’t need anything special or high output, just a stock replacement. The challenge I’m finding is finding a speaker which uses the factory wiring/harness. I don’t want to rewire anything as I’m not a stereo guy and so I’m looking for something simple. I’ve used the site search function and read the FAQ stickies but am just finding elaborate rewiring threads for bazooka’s and additional amps, etc. It's been a long time since I've had to buy speakers (15+ years) so I may have unreasonable expectations of how much speakers should cost.

Anyone have any part #’s, links, etc? Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Other than OEM replacements, there is absolutely nothing that will just plug in. If you go with aftermarket speakers of any brand, you WILL have to splice the connectors.

Subs like the Bazookas that so many people like are no exception. There is no rewiring involved but you will have to cut the connectors off the factory speakers and splice them to the new speakers so that they will plug in. Alternatively, you can cut the connectors off the factory wiring harness and just splice directly to the new speakers (this is NOT recommended).
Old 01-16-2015, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I wasn't willing to splice connectors. I can definitely do that.

I found some speakers but I'm not going to include a non-sponsor link. They are described as: 6.5'' 600 Watt Dual Voice Coil 4 Ohm Subwoofer and they have two sets of plugs on the back just like the OEM speakers.

•Black Steel Basket
•Non-Press Paper Cone
•Specially Treated Foam Surround
•1.5'' 4 Layer Dual Voice Coil
•Dual 4 Ohm Impedance
•30 OZ Magnet
•300 Watts RMS / 600 Watts Max Power
•SPL: 89 dB
•Diameter with the RIM: 6.6''
•Subwoofer Diameter not including the RIM: 6"
•Depth: 2.9''

Do those sound like they would work with the monsoon system?

Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

No brand name?

Yes, judging by the specs, those should fit and work with the Monsoon system. If they are Pyle, they've gotten mixed reviews from other members here. Some say they are a "pyle of crap" while others say they are "acceptable" (which is hardly much praise). You usually do get what you pay for when it comes to speakers.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No brand name?
Ha! Yes, they're Pyle. I didn't know how specific I could get since they aren't sold through a sponsor. I'm a huge music guy, but I rarely listen to the radio in my TA because I like to hear the engine instead so I'm not looking to boom down the road or anything. I'll keep looking so see what's out there but it's good to know these specs should work.

Thanks again for your help man!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got Pyle's off Amazon for ~$17 each just checked they are ~$13 right now. I'd say they are a good stock replacement speaker. Comparing them to what was left of my stock ones they're construction and quality is nearly identical. They are in no way a upgrade but a good cheap replacement for blown factory subs.

Also don't throw out your old subs, rip the coans and voice coils out and they make great magnetic bolt trays.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fry_
I got Pyle's off Amazon for ~$17 each just checked they are ~$13 right now. I'd say they are a good stock replacement speaker. Comparing them to what was left of my stock ones they're construction and quality is nearly identical. They are in no way a upgrade but a good cheap replacement for blown factory subs.
I ordered a pair of them from Walmart at $26 for the pair. We'll see how they work out.

Originally Posted by Fry_
Also don't throw out your old subs, rip the coans and voice coils out and they make great magnetic bolt trays.
It's funny you say that... I have all of the mounting screws and clips stuck to the magnets right now so I won't lose them.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't cry that Amazon price is each not a pair. As for them working out, as long as all you expect are replacement speakers and not a upgrade you'll be happy. Considering the cheapest upgrade cost almost 4 times more I'm happy with simple replacements.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Teching In

I've got a set of pyle's coming from amazon myself. Just looking to replace the blown factory stuff. Hopefully they prove to be of value.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by James Hastings Jr
I've got a set of pyle's coming from amazon myself. Just looking to replace the blown factory stuff. Hopefully they prove to be of value.
Mine should be delivered within a week. I'll let you know how they sound.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Forgot to check back in... I've had the new speakers in for about two weeks and they perform well for the $25 I paid. I won't be dropping a ton of base with them, but for my simple needs they fit the bill well. If you're looking for high performance I think these will disappoint. But if you're looking for a decent, inexpensive replacement for the OEM's these will do nicely.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:11 PM

I was looking for some 6.5 replacements as well found a pair for 20 bucks and they are fine for the stock system, then I added 2 10" subs behind the back seat in a box i made that doesn't eat up the trunk.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Default We are now Morel Online Authorized for your speaker upgrade needs!

I have bozooka and pyle both instock

89.99 for the bazooka and 29.99 for the pyle

Quick Reply: Trans Am sail panel replacements