LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Wiring, Stereo & Electronics (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics-19/)
-   -   Dead passengar side DRL (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/1776402-dead-passengar-side-drl.html)

M4N14C 03-17-2015 11:23 PM

Dead passengar side DRL

So the other day my right side DRL went out. No problem, just replace the bulb right? So I did that and it's still dead (parking lights work, just the brighter DRL light/turn signal doesn't). So I got a new flasher. Still dead. Tore out my head unit to get to the DRL module and bypassed it altogether, never liked them on anyway (connected the turn signal inputs directly to the turn signal outputs). Again, driver side works fine, passenger side dead.

Pulled out the voltmeter and checked the sockets. With car on, handbrake off driver side was getting 12V (this was before disabling DRL module), passenger side was getting .3V. No bueno. Thinking it was the socket I pulled the wire out and still just got .5V. At this point the only thing left to conclude is that it's a chaffed wire somewhere or bad ground, right?

I've basically done everything else you can do to troubleshoot DRL problems :lol:

wssix99 03-18-2015 05:59 AM

I'd make sure you are testing the socket wire with multiple ground options first and then check the voltage at the DRL module. It's not unheard of for the module to go bad.

M4N14C 03-18-2015 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by wssix99 (Post 18715531)
I'd make sure you are testing the socket wire with multiple ground options first and then check the voltage at the DRL module. It's not unheard of for the module to go bad.

Well I'm getting 11.8V on the drivers side grounding to the frame but .3V on passenger. Also I bypassed the DRL module altogether so even if it's bad I should still be getting power :bang:

wssix99 03-18-2015 10:32 AM

How did you do the bypass?

M4N14C 03-18-2015 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by wssix99 (Post 18715871)
How did you do the bypass?

WhiteBird's write up

wssix99 03-18-2015 05:51 PM

Can you test the wires where you made that bypass? That should confirm definitively if there is a cut in the wire.

M4N14C 03-18-2015 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by wssix99 (Post 18716572)
Can you test the wires where you made that bypass? That should confirm definitively if there is a cut in the wire.

I just tested that now and yes, I am getting the same voltage from both left and right turn signals, so there must be a break from where I crimped the wire to the actual DRL socket. Will start tracing wires tomorrow...

M4N14C 03-19-2015 08:46 PM

So apparently the problem was a burnt out socket. Pulled out the connector and it was all corroded which explains why when I measured it I wasn't getting any voltage. Got a new socket from autozone for $8, wired it up and everything is working perfectly now :D