Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Another speaker question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Another speaker question...

I know this has probably been answered before and I have searched but just wanna make sure this is right I'm installing component speakers in the doors and sail panels and will be running them off the monsoon amp for now. I know the sails are dvc woofers so I ran the rear wires to them and won't be running the rear speakers. Now the question, do I use the crossovers for the tweeters that came with the speakers? I did read that the monsoon h/u already filters the sound to them but I did replace it with a pioneer so I assume the tweeter signal is actually coming from the pioneer now so I'm gonna guess that I do need to but just wanna make sure before I do. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the monsoon AMP does the filtering NOT the headunit, you would NOT use the crossovers on the front doors, but if you insist and moving the rear hatch wiring to the sail panel location then I believe you WOULD use the crossovers for those because from what I remember the rear hatch wires are a full range signal.

This is STRONGLY suggested against doing tho, having a full range speaker 8-12 inches from your left ear will make it VERY hard to properly balance out the system, plus you are sacrificing your bass by not having subs there.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Daniel is correct for Camaro but the Firebird is wired a little differently. Camaros have only small full-range speakers in the hatch area so a crossover would be necessary to run components from that signal. However, Firebirds have components in the hatch area so you already have separate wiring for tweeters and mids. The mids get full-range signal while the tweeters get high pass filtered signal (there is a passive filter inline in the tweeter wiring). So as long as you use the correct pair of wires for each component, the crossover that came with the components isn't necessary (or even useful).
Old 04-07-2015, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help with this. I did forget to mention that I do have 2 subs in the spare tire well, that's why I got rid of the originals, didn't even think about the placement problem with them being close to my ear, just figured another set of 6.5's would sound better than the tiny 4 inchers in the hatch area. I'm glad I don't need the crossovers since they're kinda big and would've been hard to hide. Will save them for when I finally have it done right with a real amp.

Quick Reply: Another speaker question...