Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Line out converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Line out converter

I was thinking about buying a sub for the Trans Am. The amp I was looking at had high level input from the head unit. My plan was to tap into the sail panel channels before the Monsoon amp and go into the aftermarket amp. The car audio salesman said that it would sound bad doing it that way. He stated I needed a line out converter. He has everything from $10 scosche then a $40 Rockford, and a $100 Audiocontrol lc2. Looking online, there is everything from bare wire to rca, to powered LoC (like Audiocontrol) or I even found a PAC Oem amp module.

So the question is, would I be better off with the PAC add on unit, any LoC or just speaker wire input?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No difference really... in either case you will be using signal that has already been amplified by the head unit's internal amp. Whether you step it back down to pre-amp level or use the speaker-level signal as is, you're still relying on the quality of the signal from the HU. I would just use the speaker-level input for the simplicity and the fact that it's one less piece of equipment to be a point of failure.

Quick Reply: Line out converter