Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Head Unit Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit Question

Okay, so this is probably a stupid question, but would it be possible to take the face of a factory head unit and wire it / connect it to anot aftermarket one. I have a 97 z28 and I want to upgrade the sound quality, but I like the factory look. If it is not possible, it all good. Just wanting to know if it is.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:50 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If you have the know-how and expertise, you could technically make a custom application, but it will be a lot of work and void the warranty of the new headunit. Basically make a way to keep the front section of the stock headunit mounted almost normally with the aftermarket headunit behind it and all the buttons of the stock headunit wired to the buttons of the aftermarket headunit.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want aftermarket audio control and sound quality but factory radio, then you should look into the jl audio fix-86 and the twk 88 (or 82 depending on what you want to do for amplifiers and whatnot. i'll be posting some pics and info on my build in the next few days. if you have any other questions let me know.

Quick Reply: Head Unit Question