Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

tail light questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tail light questions

on my driver side tail light, the brake light will not go on, but the spoiler and passanger side does. also the normal light (when you turn the head lights on) works on the driver side rear.

i checked the bulbs, they are ok, it just wont show a break light, can some one help me out on how to fix this??

thanks
jimmy
Old 06-29-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the bulb is bad. I think that some of the Brake/Turn signal bulbs have multiple filaments, and it may not always be visible that it's bad. Check it with a multimeter, or swap a known good bulb in from the other side.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your brake lights run thru the turn signal switch, does the left turn signal work? the third brake is the only light that does not go thru it. remove your left taillight and you should have a yellow or green going to the bulbs that do these functions , does it have 12v when the brakes are depressed? the brown is taillight wire, black is ground.there will also be another green that is the source of 12v for the reverse lights so make sure you're not checking that one .
Old 06-30-2004, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by badjuju342
your brake lights run thru the turn signal switch, does the left turn signal work? the third brake is the only light that does not go thru it...
The brake lights and turn signals are the same bulbs and circuits only on the Firebird - the Camaro (at least for 98+) has a separate amber turn signal.

Chances are good that the bright filament of the bulb is burned out. The suggestion to swap the working bulb from the other side is the easiest way to be sure. If it still doesn't work then follow badjuju342's suggestion for checking the wires.