Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Non Monsoon Set Up Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Non Monsoon Set Up Question

I just picked up a 98 Z8 without the Monsoon system. I was swapping in the interior plastics from another car that I had, much better condition. This interior has the monsoon speakers in the hatch area and they still work. The Z28 came with an amp wired up to some Kenwood 6.5s in the sails and what look like stock speakers in the doors. Would it make sense to just run the doors and hatch speakers off the head unit and keep the sails wired up to the amp? The head unit is also a Kenwood, if that matters.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yes, if the sail panel speakers are mid-bass or subs. Otherwise not so much. The problem is that you will be producing a lot of full-range sound from the rear which makes the sound stage weird - like you're sitting in a concert with your back to the stage. If it's a 4-channel amp, the best option would be to wire both the doors and the sail panels to the amp to get a better balance... not to mention more overall power.

Forget about the hatch speakers. They were there in a Monsoon system to provide rear fill because the sail panels were subs. With full range speakers already in the sail panels, you'd end up with four full range speakers behind you and only two in front... you'll feel like you're sitting in a car from the 60s when stereo was new and people put a pair of speakers on the rear parcel shelf.

One interesting option might be to get a pair of 6x9 subs to put in the hatch panels (you might have to do some reinforcing of the mount) so that you could have your four full-range speakers in the doors and sail panels plus some bass in the back.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-26-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-2019, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting idea about the 6x9 subs, I'll look into it. Thanks for the input.